Florida United Methodist Building
450 Martin Luther King, Jr. Avenue, Lakeland, FL 33815
800-282-8011 (toll free) or 863-688-5563
Florida Conference of The United Methodist Church: Core Ideology
- We love God and search the Scriptures to hear and obey God's Word.
- We welcome and serve all people, particularly the poor and marginalized, as an expression of God’s love for us.
- We desire everyone to experience a life of worship and joy in God's presence by faith in Jesus Christ.
- We are changed by the power of the Holy Spirit as we learn to follow Jesus.
- We believe that changed people are called to change their communities by the power of the Holy Spirit.
- We believe all disciples are called to discover their gifts and to live out their unique mission.
- We share our faith in the context of authentic relationships.
- Because we follow Jesus together, we have a responsibility to hold one another accountable for our discipleship.
Being changed in Christ—Making a change in the world.
The mission of the Florida Conference is to connect and equip congregations in making disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world. Therefore, we:
- Start and nurture missional communities of faith
- Develop effective servant leaders for the church and the world
- Provide services that support congregations and extension ministries
- Connect congregations and resources for ministries that we do better together
Office of Connectional Ministries
Ext. 103 – email@example.com
Ext. 132 – firstname.lastname@example.org
Ext. 192 – email@example.com
(352) 787-4345(352) 787-4345 x4154 - firstname.lastname@example.org
Board of Higher Education and Campus Ministry (BHECM)
Ext. 189 – email@example.com
- Calling students into a personal relationship with Jesus Christ,
- Training them to become servant leaders,
- Sending them out to serve God through the local church,
- Encouraging the development of Christian community, and
- Affirming and supporting the relationship between the Florida Conference and Florida’s two United Methodist-related institutions of higher education: Bethune-Cookman University in Daytona Beach and Florida Southern College in Lakeland.
- Florida A&M in Tallahassee
- Florida State University in Tallahassee
- University of North Florida in Jacksonville
- University of Central Florida in Orlando
- Stetson University in DeLand
- University of Florida in Gainesville
- University of South Florida in Tampa
- University of Miami
- Florida International University and Miami Dade College, also in Miami.
Camps and Retreat Ministries
Ext. 140 – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Life Enrichment Center (LEC)
4991 Picciola Road, Fruitland Park, FL 34731
Rev. Jess Schload, Director – email@example.com
866-UMCAMPS 866-UMCAMPS, #2, or 352-787-0313 352-787-0313
- Riverside Retreat
7305 CR 78, LaBelle, FL 33935
Martha Pierce, Director – firstname.lastname@example.org
866-UMCAMPS 866-UMCAMPS, #4, or 863-675-0334 863-675-0334
- Warren W. Willis Camp (across the street from the LEC)
4990 Picciola Road, Fruitland Park, FL 34731
Mike Standifer, Director – email@example.com
866-UMCAMPS 866-UMCAMPS, #3, or 352-787-4345 352-787-4345
- Centenary Camp
371 Centenary Camp Rd, Quincy, Fl. 32352
Dave or Donna Bruns, Manager - Centenarycamp@tds.net
866-UMCAMPS 866-UMCAMPS #5 or 850-856-9779 850-856-9779
- Welcoming natural places set apart for sacred retreat and community;
- Nurturing experiences in Christian faith, discipleship and leadership; and
- A witness to the servant life of hospitality, earth care, justice and love.
The Office of Congregational Vitality
Vision: Vital congregations of disciples being changed in Christ, making a change in the world.
Purpose: To lead the Conference’s efforts in creating more vital congregations – both new and existing.
863-688-5563 Ext. 142
Janet Earls, Congregational Vitality Specialist
Ext. 109 – firstname.lastname@example.org
Rev. Dan Jackson, Director New Church Development
Ext. 147 – email@example.com
Marcy Bishop, Administrative Assistant
Ext. 142 – firstname.lastname@example.org
Florida United Methodist Connectional Relations
Ext. 505 – email@example.com
Ext. 171 - firstname.lastname@example.org
407-697-1878 407-697-1878 – email@example.com
The Florida Conference Connectional Relations team is the source of information about what’s going on throughout The United Methodist Church in Florida. The conference website (www.flumc.org) focuses on stories about our churches and ministries and provides administrative resources for districts and churches.
- Training and consulting
- Multimedia/video production
- Media relations
- Crisis communications
Knowledge & Information Services
(Part of Florida United Methodist Connectional Relations)
Ext. 190 - firstname.lastname@example.org
Mike Penuliar, Data Specialist, Knowledge & Information Services
Ext. 131 – email@example.com
The Office of Clergy Excellence
Calling, training and supporting … leaders for the church
Rev. Wayne Wiatt, Director
Ext. 133 – firstname.lastname@example.org
Rev. Rwth Fuquay, Associate Director of Clergy Excellence
Ext. 104 - email@example.com
Holly Finley, Administrative Assistant
Ext. 134 – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Calling: The center offers and promotes opportunities for the exploration of a call to licensed or ordained ministry.
- Training: At all phases of ministry, the center offers training for people preparing to enter the ministry, those just starting in ministry and those who are continuing in ministry.
- Supporting: The center works with the chairs of the Order of Elders, the Order of Deacons and the Fellowship of Local Pastors and Associate Members to develop systems for clergy to live in a community that calls for mutual accountability. The Center also works with the leaders of the conference health insurance program and Shade and Fresh Water to develop models of healthy living — physical, mental and spiritual. And working with the Florida Conference Cabinet and the Committee on Clergy Effectiveness, the center seeks to develop systems that will enable clergy members to recapture the zeal of their call to ministry and refine their tools for effectiveness.
Office of Financial Services and Treasurer’s Office
The treasurer is responsible for overseeing the administrative services provided by the conference office. These services include: Financial Services, Ministry Protection, Disaster Recovery, Human Resources and Information Technology.
Ext. 113 – email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
Office: 863-688-5563 863-688-5563, ext. 113; FAX: 863-686-7363
Ext. 163 – email@example.com
Ext. 173 – firstname.lastname@example.org
Palma Dziedzic, Assistant Controller
Ext. 107 – email@example.com
LaNita Battles, Claims/Risk Manager
Ext. 199 – firstname.lastname@example.org
Ana Temple, Insurance Specialist
Ext. 126 – email@example.com.
Ext. 175 – firstname.lastname@example.org
The Department for Ministry Protection, formerly known as risk management, is responsible for securing comprehensive property and casualty insurance coverage for all churches in the conference, facilitating the payment of claims, as well as providing risk management and loss control consulting.
Disaster Recovery Ministry
Ext. 148 – email@example.com
407-924-4485 407-924-4485 (cell)–firstname.lastname@example.org
Human Resources, Pension and Health Benefits
Wendy L. McCoy, Director of Human Resources and Benefits
Ext. 129 – email@example.com
Lois Durham, Human Resources Administrator
Ext. 194 – firstname.lastname@example.org
Helen Mitchell, Benefits Specialist
Ext. 135 – email@example.com
Star Rouse, Receptionist
Ext. 100 – firstname.lastname@example.org
Information Technology provided by DSM Technology Consultants
Assistance available by contacting the IT help desk at: ITHelpdesk@flumc.org
Ext. 122 - email@example.com
Florida Conference Archives
Its mission is to collect, preserve, and make available materials that document the historical development of the United Methodist Church and its predecessor denominations in Florida from 1822 to the present.
The archives are open to all, especially conference agencies, local churches, and individuals interested in historical or genealogical research. Materials do not circulate but are available for use in the building. Research requests may also be made by email, telephone, or letter.
The Center is located in the McKay Archives Center on the campus of Florida Southern College, 111 Lake Hollingsworth Drive, Lakeland, Florida 33801.
863-680-4992/863-688-9276 - firstname.lastname@example.org