- WHEN: We will be holding a #BeUMC event on Saturday, April 30th from 10am-2pm.
- WHERE: St. Luke's United Methodist Church (4851 S. Apopka-Vineland Road, Orlando, FL 32819) and online
- WHY: While the conference district gatherings are to educate and inform people about the continuing UMC, this event is intended to inspire fellow Methodists as we aspire to be the United Methodist Church of the future. We hope to get others excited to BE UMC in the days, weeks, months and years to come!
- WHAT: We will gather together in worship and conversation to discuss and celebrate the future of the United Methodist Church here in the Florida Conference. We will begin by remembering our baptism and recalling the work that Jesus invites us into. We will then hear from a diverse group of individuals across the conference about where they see God at work in our church. These segments will be shown in a video format around 3 main questions. Once the videos have played, all gathered in person and virtually will have a chance to discuss and share in small groups for each video/question. We will share lunch together and also offer a time to discuss how we can best support each other to continue being the Church of the future. We will close our time together in a moment of Holy Communion.
- WHO: Everyone hoping to find a home in the UMC is welcome to join this event. We long for a church for all of God's people, and yet we recognize that we are still not perfect. We welcome anyone longing for the UMC to be more reflective of God's kingdom here on earth.
- HOW MUCH: Registration will be $10 per participant to cover the costs of food and facilities.
As the conversation on the continuing United Methodist Church progresses, this webpage provides resources to help address questions that many are asking such as: Why should I stay in the UMC?; Tell me how to leave if I don’t want to stay; How do I know if there will be place for me?
More resources and latest updates on the future of the UMC will be added as they become available.
To request a presentation at your local church or in your district, click the button below:
Living in Connection in a Season of Waiting
Continuing UMC Laity Webinar
- Be UMC Worship & Preaching Resources: Incorporate the #BeUMC campaign into worship services with the help of this sermon series developed by Discipleship Ministries.
- Reconciliation and Grace Through Separation (Protocol) Website: A proposal to restructure The United Methodist Church by separation as the best means to resolve our differences
- People of God #BeUMC Campaign: The People of God campaign celebrates the core values that connect the people of The United Methodist Church. We are faithful, Jesus-seeking, missional, committed, spirit-filled, deeply rooted, connected, resilient, justice-seeking and diverse people of God.
- Connectional Table Webinar: Should I Stay or Should I Go?: As our church experiences a tumultuous season, you may be wondering what our disagreements and decisions will mean for you.
- Ask the UMC: What is the Church's position on homosexuality?
- Tuesdays at the Table: What do you understand when you hear, "This is the Lord's table and we don't set the guest list?": Dr. Edgardo Colón-Emeric talks about what it means to invite everyone to the Lord's Table.
Who's at your table: Compass 74 Podcast: This episode is a conversation between co-hosts Pierce Drake and Ryan Dunn. They discuss the age-old, but always relevant question of "What would Jesus do?"--as the question relates to community, gathering, and relationships in our 21st-century context.
Florida Conference Resources
- Presentation to Local Churches in the East Central District: Rev. Alex Shanks presents on the future of the United Methodist Church and the upcoming General Conference.
- The Cross and the Flame Bishop Carter’s General Conference opening sermon: A sermon for the Special Session of the General Conference of the United Methodist Church by Kenneth H. Carter, Jr., President, Council of Bishops on February 24, 2019, in St. Louis, Missouri
- Rev. Alex Shanks Presentation to Heritage UMC on the Postponement of General Conference
- A Community of Love and Forgiveness: A 40-Day Journey of Discipleship: A diverse set of lay and clergy authors from around the Conference reflect on this baptismal vow: “Do you confess Jesus Christ as your savior, put your whole trust in his grace, and promise to serve him as your Lord, in union with the church which Christ has opened to people of all ages, nations, and races?”
- A Way Forward: A Report from St. Louis on Thursday: Blogpost by Bishop Ken Carter
- A Letter to the Gulf Central District from Interim Superintendent Rev. Clarke Campbell-Evans
- Bishop Ken Carter's Opening Message at Annual Conference 2021
- The Protocol of Grace & Reconciliation Through Separation: Questions and Answers with Rev. Alex Shanks
- The Future of the UMC in Florida (Video): Bishop Ken Carter discusses the UMC in Florida
- Seven Reasons The United Methodist Church Will Remain United: A video by Bishop Carter
- A Way Forward: A webpage of various links and resources
- General Conference & My Church's Future (Video): Join Bishop Carter and Rev. Alex Shanks as they share the latest information about the upcoming General Conference and the future of The United Methodist Church. In a season of change, we remain confident of God’s presence among us as we remain On Mission Together.