Florida Conference Lay Servant Ministries Classes
The following course is scheduled:
The ADVANCED Course
Accountable Discipleship: Living in the Household of God.
Online via Zoom - March 9 – April 6, 2021
Five Tuesdays from 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm
Instructor: Rod Groom
This course may be taken by anyone interested in living as a follower of Jesus Christ in loving accountability with others. For those who have taken the Basic Course and wish to become a lay servant, lay speaker or lay minister, it may be taken as an Advanced Course for certification or recertification. Accountable Discipleship is how disciples of Jesus Christ live in God’s household. It is the living of God’s “household rules” in their daily lives. When asked, Jesus told us that these rules can be summarized as loving God and loving our neighbors. Looking at our biblical and Wesleyan heritage, the author shows us how we can meet the challenge of personal discipleship in loving connection with others, whether in Covenant Discipleship groups, Emmaus Reunion groups, cell groups or other small groups in the church.
Course fee: $25.00 to be paid at time of registration. Please have a Bible, notebook and pen convenient next to your computer. It is recommended that for class work, you use a Windows or Mac computer, and download the free Zoom software in advance. You must complete all sessions to receive course credit.
Materials: Please purchase and read the book prior to class. The book is entitled Accountable Discipleship: Living in God's Household, by Steven Manskar. You may purchase it at Cokesbury or Upper Room Books.
CLICK HERE to register for the ADVANCED COURSE. Credit card payment will be required upon registration.
Deadline for registration is 3/1/2021.
Contact Rod Groom for any questions you may have at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mark Your Calendars: Children's Home's (Virtual) Day on Campus - March 27!
Each year, one of the most special days in the life of the Florida United Methodist Children’s Home is Day on Campus. This eagerly anticipated event provides us with the opportunity to both thank our faithful churches and ministry partners and highlight all of the wonderful things God is doing through the ministry here. Normally, we open our gates and welcome guests to celebrate the ministry they have helped to make possible. However, we know that this is not a normal year, and churches and ministries have adapted their work in a way that continues to prioritize health and safety. We have also had to adapt, and we are very excited that we will be holding Day on Campus as a virtual event this year! This will allow us to continue the annual tradition of lifting up the Children’s Home ministry, while also ensuring people can engage from the safety and comfort of their own homes.
Day on Campus will be held virtually on Saturday, March 27. It will be broadcast on our Facebook page, and will also be accessible on our YouTube channel following the event. Similar to the standard program, the virtual event will feature updates from our President & CEO, board chair, and key staff. It will also highlight testimonials from individuals, 2020 award winners, music from our children and staff, and a virtual tour. Our mission has continued to guide the ministry, even in the midst of a pandemic, and we are excited for you to celebrate the ways in which God continues to do great things through the many ministries of the Children’s Home.
For more information on how to view the event, as well as ideas on how to engage, please visit our Facebook page and stay tuned to our email communications. Any questions can also be sent to email@example.com. Thank you for your continued partnership in serving children!
District At-Large Members to Annual Conference
Annual Conference 2021 will be held via Zoom. Click HERE for the AC2021 webpage which will be updated as information is available.
Are you interested in becoming an South West District At-Large Lay Member to Annual Conference 2021? The Cabinet has given the Districts Guidelines regarding Lay Members to Annual Conference.
- No more than five at-large members from one local church
- Click HERE for the Discipleship Ministries explanation on Lay Member to AC
- Pre-Annual Conference Gathering is Sunday, June 6 3:00pm - 4:30pm for all Clergy and Lay Members to Annual Conference
- There will be some optional events June 7 - 10
- You are not automatically a Lay Member to AC because you were last year.
Please have your pastor send an email to Sandy Voigt (firstname.lastname@example.org) with their recommendation of you serving as a SW District At-Large Lay Member to Annual Conference.
Reminder - Reports due in March
- Fiscal Responsibility and Management Policies. Financial Controls, Policies, and Procedures - Review & renew annually. Once in compliance, submit a signed copy of the one page Annual Review and Renewal Document as well as the Document Retention Policy to the district office by March 31. Click here for Fiscal Responsibility and Management Policies in Local Churches.
- Employee Conduct Policy Adoption. FL Conference Revised Local Church Policy last revised April 2015. Review and renew annually.
- CLERGY FORM: Click here for ECP for clergy. Submit the signed clergy copy to the district office by March 31.
- EMPLOYEE FORM: Click here for ECP for local church employees. Copies of the local church employees forms should not be submitted to the district office, but should be filed in their employee file at the local church.
- ADOPTION AGREEMENT: Click here - Adopt the revised ECP and submit a signed copy of the Adoption Agreement to the district office by March 31.
- Annual Report to the District Housing Committee / Parsonage Checklist. Review & renew annually. Submit a signed copy of the Annual Parsonage Review to the district office by March 31. You are welcome to do the parsonage review via Zoom or video call with your pastor due to Covid concerns.
- Fund Balance Report for the Year End 2020. This report is located in your church dashboard. Report available via the church dashboard login under Fund Balance.
- Child and Youth Protection Policy Review & renew annually. Submit a signed copy of the Annual Review & Renewal Signature page of the Child/Youth Protection Policy to the district office by March 31. (Should the policy undergo major revisions, submit a complete copy to the district office.) See Ministry Protection webpage for more information.
Modified Missional Vital Signs Reporting
While churches are not meeting in person due to COVID-19, The Florida Conference will use a Modified MVS reporting model. Click HERE for instructions and to report MVS.
If you have data not entered for February or before, please complete the Monthly Data Gathering Chart for each of those months and email it to Sandy Voigt at email@example.com.