'Picture St. Pete' Captures the Historic Landmark, First, St. Petersburg
This historic landmark, First United Methodist Church, circa 1925, is the fourth sanctuary to house the congregation and the third to be erected on this site -- 212 3rd St N. The second and third structures were built in 1902 and 1905, their demolition being necessary to accommodate the expanding congregation. The prominent 144-foot bell tower originally housed a 10-bell carillon, later increased to 15 bells. The largest bell weighs in at 2,208 pounds. Photo courtesy Picture St. Pete.