September Message from the District Superintendent
Be Brave and Strong! Joshua 1:1-9
This is the message that the District Superintendent shared at the most recent District Ministry Team Meeting. He also touched upon Gil Rendle's message - “Doing what is right because it aligns with purpose as opposed to doing what is desired IS a courageous act because in church systems our leaders exercise their leadership in community.”
It is hard to be strong, brave and fearless amidst change. Let's face it, we all have moments in our life where change has scared us; where we are constantly asking God "Am I Doing This Right?" But change is needed if we want to grow and continue making Disciples. Read more about Change in Jay's September message.
Response to Hurricane Harvey - Flood Bucket Challenge Returns
As we have watched the tragedy unfold in Texas - and now the rain in Louisiana - many of you have asked how to help.
- PRAY for those impacted. Pray also for UMCOR (United Methodist Committee on Relief) and our United Methodist Churches who are in the impacted communities and all of the agencies and partners responding to those in need.
- Give generously to UMCOR Disaster Response Advance #901670. One hundred percent of your donation will go to help those affected by Harvey.
- Over this past year, the Florida Conference has received $1.4 million dollars from UMCOR to assist with recovery from Hurricanes Hermine (Labor Day last year) and Matthew (one month later). We received these grants because churches like yours gave generously to UMCOR. Can we do any less?
- And work teams are still needed for Hurricane Recovery here in Florida. CLICK HERE to learn more.
- Assemble flood buckets and hygiene kits and take them to one of the designated collection sites.
- On September 21st these items will be shipped to UMCOR Sager Brown Depot in Baldwin, LA. Working with their network of partners, UMCOR will then get these items to the areas where they are needed most.
- Last year we sent 3,115 flood buckest to help with the flooding in Louisiana. This year, the need is even greater! Please help! #imwithtexas.
Visit the Conference website for more information. We are working on setting up a local collection site for the flood buckets in our District. We will let you know once that is finalized!
Lay Servant Ministry Training
Training will be held on Friday, September 22, 2017 from 6:30-9 p.m. and also on Saturday, September 23, 2017 from 8:30 a.m.- 5 p.m at Keystone UMC. Class sizes are limited to 15 students per class. Be sure to register early. No walk-in registrations please. This training is open to all. If you are seeking to receive certification of re-certification credits you must attend all 10 hours of the training. Registration will run through September 15, 2017.
LAY SERVANT COURSE OFFERINGS
- Basic Lay Servant Course
- Advanced Lay Servant - Leading Worship
- Advanced Lay Servant - Leading in Prayer
- Advanced Lay Servant - Lay Pastoral Care Giving
- Advanced Lay Servant - Devotional Life in the Wesleyan Tradition
District Office Staffing Change
In an effort to be good stewards of God's money, we have made the decision to no longer have a permanent part-time administrative person in the District Office. Ashleigh's last day with us is September 8, 2017. She did a wonderful job in helping us achieve the goal of being a paperless office. We are grateful for her hard work and dedication to that massive project. Please feel free to reach out to her with well wishes. She can be reached at 904-396-3026 or firstname.lastname@example.org. We know she would love to hear from you.
What does this mean for our clergy and churches?
- It means that we need your help in better adhering to deadlines so we don't have to do as much follow up.
- It means that we still provide a high level of customer service to you via phone and email. However, be sure to call the office before you stop by. Because our ministry takes us outside the walls of the office, there may not be someone here to greet you.
- It means that we will have someone in the office periodically (3-4 days per month) to help out, but the primary responsibility for administration and operations will fall under Pam Mullay. We have some suggestions on how you can help us worker smarter and not harder:
- When you leave us a voicemail, please be sure to tell us the reason why you are calling. It helps to reduce the amount of phone tag we have to do and will also allow us to work on getting you/researching the information you need before getting back to you.
- Consider sending an email for a quicker response. Pam's email is email@example.com.
- Read the emails that we send out. Clergy must be checking their flumc.org emails. We need your help to ensure that you are receiving all of the information that we know will help you in your ministry.
- And most importantly, pray for this administrative ministry. We can never have enough prayer over what we do. It is always appreciated.
Ken Amaro Emancipation Breakast
The Lincoln - Douglass Emancipation Proclamation Association, Inc. are hosting a special breakfast featuring Mr. Ken Amaro on September 22, 2017, 8:00 a.m. at the Quality Inn, 6802 Commonwealth Avenue & I-295. For tickets call Sister Mathis at (904) 962-6060. Donation $20. All proceeds are for the James S. Genwright, Sr. Scholarship of Edward Waters College.
SAVE THE DATE: Learn together! More information soon.
Come as a team, as a church, as a district, or another group.
Our guest: Rev. Dr. Martyn Atkins, Chair of Fresh Expressions UK, Team Leader and Superintendent Minister of Methodist Central Hall. He will share about resourcing renewal of the church, the emerging future, and discipleship and the people called Methodists.
Job Opportunities at DLC Nurse & Learn!
DLC is Currently Seeking:
Full time Teacher, M-F from 9 am -6 pm. Bachelor’s degree in early childhood or special education preferred.
Part time Teacher Assistant, M-F from 12-6 pm
Part time Speech Therapist with current license and Medicaid NPI. Experience working with children with severe disabilities preferred.
DCF 45 hour Certification preferred.
Must pass background screening and drug test.
Pay TBD based on experience and training.
Must be a team player and have a passion for helping children with disabilities and their families.
Please send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org or Call DLC at 904-387-0370 and ask for Program Director, Mayra Correa.
DLC Nurse & Learn provides year round high quality education, nursing care, and therapies to children of all abilities so that children and families have the opportunity to reach their maximum potential.
Find out more at www.dlcnl.org or visit us on Facebook!
September 25, 2017 - A Conversation with Bishop Carter - 6:30 p.m. @ Mandarin UMC
October 13-14, 2017 - 21st Century Man Cave Renovation Conference @ LEC
November 4, 2017 - DLC Nurse & Learn Passport to Riverside and Avondale Event. Purchase your ticket to Passport 2017 now!
November 15, 2017 - Finance/Trustees Training, 6:30-9 p.m. @ Riverdale UMC. This will be a brown-bag meal training. Bring a brown bag meal with you. The District Office will provide drinks and snacks. This training is free but you must register to attend.
November 16, 2017 - Finance/Trustees Training, 6:30-9 p.m. @ Lake Shore UMC. This will be a brown-bag meal training. Bring a brown bag meal with you. The District Office will provide drinks and snacks. This training is free but you must register to attend.
November 18, 2017 - Fresh Expressions Event in Deland
December 13, 2017 - DCOM Meeting (Re-certifications) You need to be invited to attend this meeting by the DCOM registrar.
January 20, 2018 - District Leadership Event - Location 1 @ Keystone UMC, Keystone Heights
January 27, 2018 - District Leadership Event - Location 2 @ Beach Church, Jacksonville Beach
February 22, 2018 - Duval County Principal & Pastor's
April 13-14, 2018 - District Lay Servant Ministry Training @ New Life Community UMC, Jacksonville
We are up to 249 likes on our District Facebook Page in the past week. Thank you! Invite your friends to like our page.