September 2017 District Newsletter
September Message from the District Superintendent
Be Brave and Strong! Joshua 1:1-9
This is the message that the District Superintendent shared at the most recent District Ministry Team Meeting. He also touched upon Gil Rendle's message - “Doing what is right because it aligns with purpose as opposed to doing what is desired IS a courageous act because in church systems our leaders exercise their leadership in community.”
It is hard to be strong, brave and fearless amidst change. Let's face it, we all have moments in our life where change has scared us; where we are constantly asking God "Am I Doing This Right?" But change is needed if we want to grow and continue making Disciples. Read more about Change in Jay's September message.
Update on Vitality Metrics & Missional Vital Signs
As we approach the end of the second month for reporting Vitality Metrics, we want to gently remind you that we need 100% participation from the churches in our District. We spent some significant time following up with those churches that did not input their July data by the 10th of August. That time could have been spent doing other ministry. So please be sure that someone in your church is assigned to input this data by the 10th of each month. We need you to help us by adhering to the deadline.
We figured out that the Missional Vital Signs data cannot be input for that month until the first day of the next month. We appreciate those folks that reached out to us to let us know there was a challenge with the process.
Don't forget - The deadline to upload is the 10th of each month for the previous month. So all August data is due by September 10th. Help us reach 100% participation from all churches in the district.
You can access the Missional Vital Signs information here - http://tools.flumc.org/yearly.asp.
You can access the Vitality Metrics information here - http://www.flumc.org/vitality.
You can track your weekly data on this Monthly Data Sheet.
Response to Hurricane Harvey - Flood Bucket Challenge Returns
As we have watched the tragedy unfold in Texas - and now the rain in Louisiana - many of you have asked how to help.
- PRAY for those impacted. Pray also for UMCOR (United Methodist Committee on Relief) and our United Methodist Churches who are in the impacted communities and all of the agencies and partners responding to those in need.
- Give generously to UMCOR Disaster Response Advance #901670. One hundred percent of your donation will go to help those affected by Harvey.
- Over this past year, the Florida Conference has received $1.4 million dollars from UMCOR to assist with recovery from Hurricanes Hermine (Labor Day last year) and Matthew (one month later). We received these grants because churches like yours gave generously to UMCOR. Can we do any less?
- And work teams are still needed for Hurricane Recovery here in Florida. CLICK HERE to learn more.
- Assemble flood buckets and hygiene kits and take them to one of the designated collection sites.
- On September 21st these items will be shipped to UMCOR Sager Brown Depot in Baldwin, LA. Working with their network of partners, UMCOR will then get these items to the areas where they are needed most.
- Last year we sent 3,115 flood buckest to help with the flooding in Louisiana. This year, the need is even greater! Please help! #imwithtexas.
Visit the Conference website for more information. We are working on setting up a local collection site for the flood buckets in our District. We will let you know once that is finalized!
MissionInsite Training with Tom Bandy
Join us for MissionInsite Training with Tom Bandy on Saturday, September 16, 2017 at Mandarin UMC. We are offering two trainings:
- 8:30 a.m. - 12 p.m. - This training is designed for small to medium-sized churches
- 1-4 p.m. - This training is designed for medium to large-sized churches.
Cost is $25 per church and due to space constraints, each church may bring no more than five people. You must register and pre-pay in order to attend. Please feel free to bring a laptop with you.
Register now. Registration closes on September 11, 2017.
Lay Servant Ministry Training
Training will be held on Friday, September 22, 2017 from 6:30-9 p.m. and also on Saturday, September 23, 2017 from 8:30 a.m.- 5 p.m at Keystone UMC. Class sizes are limited to 15 students per class. Be sure to register early. No walk-in registrations please. This training is open to all. If you are seeking to receive certification of re-certification credits you must attend all 10 hours of the training. Registration will run through September 15, 2017.
LAY SERVANT COURSE OFFERINGS
- Basic Lay Servant Course
- Advanced Lay Servant - Leading Worship
- Advanced Lay Servant - Leading in Prayer
- Advanced Lay Servant - Lay Pastoral Care Giving
- Advanced Lay Servant - Devotional Life in the Wesleyan Tradition
District Administrative Professionals Brunch
Please join us! All administrative professionals who work within a local church are invited to attend a District Administrative Professionals brunch on Tuesday, October 10, 2017 from 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. at Southside UMC, 3120 Hendricks Ave, Jacksonville
We know that you are busy. We are all busy. But sometimes we need a break; a chance to catch our breath, share, learn, and fellowship with others who understand the joys, the sorrows, the ups, the downs, the heavy lifting and the uplifting work that we do. So we encourage all you to put this date on your calendar, register online to attend and be there!
Clergy, please encourage your church’s administrative professional to attend this FREE event!
Register today. Registration ends on October 1, 2017.
District Office Staffing Change
In an effort to be good stewards of God's money, we have made the decision to no longer have a permanent part-time administrative person in the District Office. Ashleigh's last day with us is September 8, 2017. She did a wonderful job in helping us achieve the goal of being a paperless office. We are grateful for her hard work and dedication to that massive project. Please feel free to reach out to her with well wishes. She can be reached at 904-396-3026 or email@example.com. We know she would love to hear from you.
What does this mean for our clergy and churches?
- It means that we need your help in better adhering to deadlines so we don't have to do as much follow up.
- It means that we still provide a high level of customer service to you via phone and email. However, be sure to call the office before you stop by. Because our ministry takes us outside the walls of the office, there may not be someone here to greet you.
- It means that we will have someone in the office periodically (3-4 days per month) to help out, but the primary responsibility for administration and operations will fall under Pam Mullay. We have some suggestions on how you can help us worker smarter and not harder:
- When you leave us a voicemail, please be sure to tell us the reason why you are calling. It helps to reduce the amount of phone tag we have to do and will also allow us to work on getting you/researching the information you need before getting back to you.
- Consider sending an email for a quicker response. Pam's email is firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Read the emails that we send out. Clergy must be checking their flumc.org emails. We need your help to ensure that you are receiving all of the information that we know will help you in your ministry.
- And most importantly, pray for this administrative ministry. We can never have enough prayer over what we do. It is always appreciated.
IMPORTANT MESSAGE TO OUR CLERGY
If you don’t regularly check your FLUMC email, please make sure that your personal email and your FLUMC email are linked. Your Conference Board of Pension and Health Benefits is going to be emailing you some exciting news about one-stop shopping for your 2018 medical benefits. You won’t want to miss this important information with useful options for you and your church staff!
Ken Amaro Emancipation Breakast
The Lincoln - Douglass Emancipation Proclamation Association, Inc. are hosting a special breakfast featuring Mr. Ken Amaro on September 22, 2017, 8:00 a.m. at the Quality Inn, 6802 Commonwealth Avenue & I-295. For tickets call Sister Mathis at (904) 962-6060. Donation $20. All proceeds are for the James S. Genwright, Sr. Scholarship of Edward Waters College.
The conference has been working very closely with the districts to prepare the 2018 apportionments. Apportionments for 2018 are now available on the conference website. Please contact your district first if you have any questions regarding your 2018 apportionments.
To find your 2018 apportionment information:
- Go to the Conference homepage: www.flumc.org.
- Click on the “Monthly Reports” tab at the bottom right of the page.
- Click on the top link under Monthly Billing Reports: “Click here to download monthly reports.”
- When you choose a report, there will be a report on the pull-down menu called 2018 Apportionments Report. This report will take you to your 2018 apportionments.
SAVE THE DATE: Learn together! More information soon.
Come as a team, as a church, as a district, or another group.
Our guest: Rev. Dr. Martyn Atkins, Chair of Fresh Expressions UK, Team Leader and Superintendent Minister of Methodist Central Hall. He will share about resourcing renewal of the church, the emerging future, and discipleship and the people called Methodists.
Keep an eye out for one of our District Disaster Response Coordinators (DDRCs) to visit your church! We want to give them a warm welcome if they happen to pop into worship on a Sunday morning.
Fred DeWitt and Jim Mitts are the DDRCs for the North East District.They will be visiting the District Churches to introduce themselves and offer to assist in your individual disaster response planning.
You can contact Fred at email@example.com. Jim can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Job Opportunities at DLC Nurse & Learn!
DLC is Currently Seeking:
Full time Teacher, M-F from 9 am -6 pm. Bachelor’s degree in early childhood or special education preferred.
Part time Teacher Assistant, M-F from 12-6 pm
Part time Speech Therapist with current license and Medicaid NPI. Experience working with children with severe disabilities preferred.
DCF 45 hour Certification preferred.
Must pass background screening and drug test.
Pay TBD based on experience and training.
Must be a team player and have a passion for helping children with disabilities and their families.
Please send resume to email@example.com or Call DLC at 904-387-0370 and ask for Program Director, Mayra Correa.
DLC Nurse & Learn provides year round high quality education, nursing care, and therapies to children of all abilities so that children and families have the opportunity to reach their maximum potential.
Find out more at www.dlcnl.org or visit us on Facebook!
North East District Clergy Housing Allowance
The Clergy Housing Committee has set the standards for housing allowance throughout the North East District. Housing Allowances are assigned based on the location of the church (rural, urban, oceanfront.) Churches with existing housing allowances that are below minimum have until December 31, 2019 to raise theirs. Housing allowance minimums will be revisited annually by the team. Click here to see the current housing allowances.
September 22-23, 2017 - District Lay Servant Ministry Training @ Keystone UMC
September 25, 2017 - A Conversation with Bishop Carter - 6:30 p.m. @ Mandarin UMC
October 10, 2017 - District Administrative Professionals Brunch @ Southside UMC
October 13-14, 2017 - 21st Century Man Cave Renovation Conference @ LEC
November 4, 2017 - DLC Nurse & Learn Passport to Riverside and Avondale Event. Purchase your ticket to Passport 2017 now!
November 11, 2017 - Super-Charged Conference, 9 a.m.-12 p.m. @ CrossRoad UMC
November 15, 2017 - Finance/Trustees Training, 6:30-9 p.m. @ Riverdale UMC. This will be a brown-bag meal training. Bring a brown bag meal with you. The District Office will provide drinks and snacks. This training is free but you must register to attend.
November 16, 2017 - Finance/Trustees Training, 6:30-9 p.m. @ Lake Shore UMC. This will be a brown-bag meal training. Bring a brown bag meal with you. The District Office will provide drinks and snacks. This training is free but you must register to attend.
November 18, 2017 - Fresh Expressions Event in Deland
November 28, 2017 - SPRC Training with the DS, 7-9 p.m. @ River of Life UMC. This training is free but you must register to attend.
December 11, 2017 - SPRC Training with the DS, 7-9 p.m. @ Riverside Park UMC. This training is free but you must register to attend.
December 13, 2017 - DCOM Meeting (Re-certifications) You need to be invited to attend this meeting by the DCOM registrar.
January 20, 2018 - District Leadership Event - Location 1 @ Keystone UMC, Keystone Heights
January 27, 2018 - District Leadership Event - Location 2 @ Beach Church, Jacksonville Beach
February 22, 2018 - Duval County Principal & Pastor's
March 1, 2018 – District Ministry Team Meeting, 11:30 – 3 @ Fleming Island UMC – Brown Bag Lunch. All clergy serving a local church are required to attend.
April 13-14, 2018 - District Lay Servant Ministry Training @ New Life Community UMC, Jacksonville
We are up to 249 likes on our District Facebook Page in the past week. Thank you! Invite your friends to like our page.