Austin's Shrimp Creole
1 tbsp flour 1 lb peeled, deveined raw shrimp
1 tbsp bacon drippings or butter 1/4 cup chopped parsley
3/4 cup chopped onion 3 oz tomato paste
1/4 cup chopped shallots 1/2 14 oz can diced tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped celery 8 oz tomato sauce
1/4 cup chopped bell pepper 1/2 cup shrimp stock or water
2 toes garlic, finely chopped 3/4 cup burgundy wine
2 bay leaves 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp worcestershire sauce 1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tbsp lemon juice Red pepper flakes or tabasco to taste
1/2 tsp thyme 1 tsp sugar
3 cups cooked rice
1. In large pot, cook flour and drippings over medium heat until dark brown (don't burn!).
2. Add onions, shallots, celery, bell peppers and garlic. Saute until translucent. Add tomato paste, diced tomatoes, and tomato sauce. Simmer for 15 minutes.
3. Add stock or water, salt, pepper, red pepper or Tabasco, bay leaves, thyme, sugar, Worcestershire, lemon juice and wine. Simmer for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
4. Stir in shrimp and cook till opaque. Add parsley, stir.
5. Serve on rice.
The Florida Conference of The United Methodist Church
450 Martin L King Jr Ave
Lakeland, FL 33815
(863) 688-5563 or toll free (800) 282-8011