A filling Creole main dish. Serves 4-6.
Uncle Sidney's Red Beans and Rice
1 lb dried red beans
1 large onion, diced
1 rib celery, diced
1 bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
4 toes garlic, finely chopped
4 sprigs parsley, chopped
1 lb smoked sausage, sliced
1 ham bone
2 bay leaves
1 1/2 tsp Thyme
1/2 stick butter
4 cups cooked rice
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Pick over beans and remove stones, and any half beans. Rinse well. Place beans and onion in dutch oven or large soup pan. Cover and soak overnight.
2. Next day, strain and pour off water. Return beans and onions to pot. Add ham bone. Add water to cover ingredients. Bring to boil, then reduce to to medium. Cook for 1 1/2 hours. Remove ham bone.
3. Add remaining ingredients, except rice and butter. Stir, then reduce heat to simmer and cook for 2-2 1/2 hours, till tender and creamy.
4. Add 1/2 stick butter and stir in.
5. Serve over cooked rice.
The Florida Conference of The United Methodist Church
450 Martin L King Jr Ave
Lakeland, FL 33815
(863) 688-5563 or toll free (800) 282-8011