NW October 2018 Newsletter
October is Pastor Appreciation month. Our office would like to recognize all of our wonderful clergy who work so hard to spread the love of Christ. We love you and appreciate you!! Laity, please show some love to your clergy this month.
District Committee on Ministry (DCOM)
District Superintendent: Rev. Durwood Foshee (850) 386-2154 email@example.com
dCOM Chair: Rev. Dr. Kandace Brooks firstname.lastname@example.org
dCOM Registrar: Elizabeth Flynn email@example.com
DCOM Meeting Location: See below.
- Tues, Dec 11, 2018 (materials due Nov 13, 2018)
This date will be held at Wesley Memorial, Lake City
- Mon, Mar 18 (materials due Feb 18) Local Pastor Renewals - Day 1
These dates will be held at St. Paul's UMC, Tallahassee
- Tues, Mar 19 (materials due Feb 19) Local Pastor Renewals - Day 2
- Tues, May 14 (materials due Apr 16) 1st Provisional attempt
- Tues, Aug 13 (materials due Jul 16) 2nd Provisional attempt
- Tues, Dec 10 (materials due Nov 12)
Gray Memorial UMC is hosting its annual Pumpkin Patch from October 6 through October 31. The patch will be open daily from noon until dusk at 2201 Old Bainbridge Road, Tallahassee 32303. We will have a huge selection of pumpkins again this year--lots of different sizes and colors to complement your holiday decorating. Profits from the Pumpkin Patch will go to Grace Mission, ECHO and other Methodist missions the church supports. Visitors are welcome - photos are encouraged!
Woodville UMC, 9400 Old Woodville Highway, Annual Fish Fry and Yard Sale is Saturday, October 6, 2018. Yard Sale 8:00AM – 2:00 PM (ish), Lunch served 11:00 AM – 2:00PM, Mullet, Baked Beans, Cole Slaw, Cheese Grits, Hush Puppies, Tea, Dessert, Adults - $9, Children (to age 10) - $5
Calvary UMC & Big Bend Front Porch Ministries are hosting a Fall Festival for McKenzie’s Clothing Closet on Saturday, October 13. NOTE: THIS HAS BEEN RESCHEDULED TO NOV. 10 DUE TO THE STORM. There will be fun for the whole family. Coat Day, the Clothing Closet, Farm Share, free hot dogs, and activities for kids. Vendors include Ability 1st, Big Bend Cares, Voter Registration, and free haircuts from Lively Technical School of Barbering. We would love for volunteers to come and serve at our Fall Festival (Calvary UMC, 218 Ausley Road, Tally) However, we would love for churches throughout the district to share about our Fall Festival with your neighbors in need as well. Get ready for winter at our Fall Festival. For more info. call, 850-363-9076 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Big Bend Front Porch is a ministry of the Northwest District of the United Methodist Church, visit us at www.bigbendfrontporch.org
Gray Memorial UMC will hold its 2018 Fall Festival on Saturday, Oct. 20 from 9 am to 2 pm at the church, located at 2201 Old Bainbridge Road, Tallahassee 32303. Activities include craft sales, bake sale, pony rides and bounce house for the children. Please join us as we celebrate the glorious fall in Tallahassee!
Hickory Grove UMC will hold their 28th consecutive Founder's Day Celebration on Saturday, Oct. 20 beginning at 8 AM. There will be lots of food (chicken pilau, ham biscuits, venison chili, bbq, collard greens, hoe cake, sausage dogs) and lots of activities including syrup making, peanut boil, gospel singing, and a country store filled with homemade crafts. A highlight of the day is when the circuit-riding preacher delivers some old-fashioned preaching at 12 noon out under the trees! We usually have upwards of 2000 folks in attendance. We are located in Madison County at 1218 NE Hickory Grove Road.
Killearn UMC invites you to their Trunk or Treat event on Sunday, Oct. 28 from 3:30-5:30 PM. Admission is canned goods or other non-perishables for the Killearn Food Bank. There will be bounce houses, hot dogs, sno-cones and, of course, trunk's full of goodies. 2800 Shamrock South, Tallahassee.
Chaires United Methodist Church is holding its Annual Traditional Chicken Pilau on Thursday, November 8, from 4 pm to 8 pm. The menu includes pilau (chicken and rice) cooked in black, cast iron pots over wood fires the old fashioned way, green beans cooked with smoked ham for seasoning, coleslaw with homemade dressing, saltines, a dessert and iced tea or coffee; all for $10 per plate (children 5 and under eat free). No advance tickets sold - Eat in or carry out, as long as it lasts!
We will also have free entertainment on an open-air stage. Come and join us under the big tent and enjoy good food and entertainment while visiting with old friends or making new acquaintances in a good, family atmosphere.
Chaires United Methodist Church is at 9243 Parkhill Road, just east of Chaires Crossroad immediately north of the railroad track in the Chaires Community in eastern Leon County. Hope to see you there.
-Killearn UMC is accepting applications for the full-time position of Executive Assistant to the Pastors. The position will provide professional, administrative, and technical assistance to the Pastoral Team. The ideal candidate for this position must have a warm, inviting and hospitable attitude along with strong communication skills and attention to detail. Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, Power Point and Publisher is needed along with the ability to learn new technologies. Experience with Church Community Builder (CCB) is a plus. Please email a letter of intent, resume, two professional and two personal references to Sheri Dodge, at email@example.com, by October 1.
-Woodville United Methodist Church, 9400 Old Woodville Highway is seeking a Director Of Music Ministries. This is a Part-Time Position. Responsibilities:
- Responsible for music ministries of the church in consultation with and supervision of the Pastor.
- Plan music for weekly Sunday worship service.
- Work with Worship Committee, Pastor, and congregation to establish an active full-time choir, hold weekly rehearsals.
- Collaborate with Pastor and Worship Committee in planning for seasonal or special event music.
- Assist Pastor in planning music for Funeral or Celebration of Life services.
- Work with leaders and children to include children in music ministry as appropriate.
- Ensure fill-in is available during planned absences.
- Meet periodically with Pastor, Staff-Parish Relations Committee and Worship Committee to evaluate programs and to update plans.
- Committed Christian with some familiarity and understanding of the United Methodist Church..
- College Degree or equivalent studies and experience in the areas of organ, piano, and choral directing.
- Available flexible hours and weekly schedules primarily consisting of Sunday mornings, weekly choir rehearsals, and necessary work in developing weekly music and planning for special music programs.
Annual salary commensurate with experience, paid on a monthly basis. Estimated minimum time required is 7-8 hours weekly plus travel time. If interested in applying please submit resume, including two professional, and two personal references, to: firstname.lastname@example.org. For further information please call church office at 850-421-7205 and leave a message.
Note: This position is required to comply with conduct policies established by the United Methodist Church (see Employee Conduct policy) as well as those established by Woodville United Methodist Church including Sexual Harassment, Child Protection, and Zero Tolerance Drug and Alcohol policies. The incumbent is subject to a Level 1 background check as required by the Methodist Conference.
-Crawfordville UMC seeks a Director of Student Ministries. Crawfordville UMC is seeking a strategic person to build disciples for Christ by leading the Christian education, guidance and mentoring of middle school, high school, and college-age students. The qualities we are looking for include a deep relationship with Jesus Christ, high moral character, excellent communication skills, a passion for discipleship, and a calling from God to be Director of Student Ministries with a relational approach to the position.
Our Wakulla County community has ~30,000 total residents, is in the “Big Bend” of Florida along the coast of the Gulf of Mexico, twenty minutes south of the capital city of Tallahassee, and a short drive to the coast, including destinations of St. George’s Island, Panama City, and Destin.
General responsibilities include:
- Provide moral developmental and spiritual growth in an age-appropriate manner.
- Be responsible for activities and special events oriented for CUMC youth.
- Lead the weekly Sunday School, Sunday evening, and Wednesday youth programs.
- Organize missional work in the community and greater world, including an annual mission trip, annual Methodist camp programs and activities, “Lunch-with-Students,” mentoring programs, and “fun activities” for youth.
- Be active in community programs such as Food Pantry, Farm Share, CUMC student fund raising, and others recommended by the Charge Conference and support our students in school programs.
- Participate in Church activities with the senior pastor.
- Be available for podium announcements and some Sunday sermons that illustrate youth leadership and Christian belief and follow United Methodist Church tenets.
- Attend organizational meetings of the Church, District, and Conference, and support youth-related policies including a communications program of a CUMC Bulletin, Newsletter, Facebook, and other appropriate/approved social media tools.
To apply, forward a letter of intent, resume, and the names and contact information for three professional references to Dr. Hazel Walker, SPRC Chairperson (address below).
*Bachelor’s Degree. Focus in Divinity/Religion, Student Leadership, Counseling and/or Education is a plus.
*Experienced in student ministry/campus Christian program leadership is desired.
*A valid driver’s license and a personal car will be required.