NW November 2018 Newsletter
HURRICANE RELIEF EFFORT
The Florida Conference and our office would like to thank everyone for the overwhelming outpouring of donations, contributions, work teams, etc. in the hardest hit areas of our great state following Hurricane Michael. The Conference Disaster Relief Coordinator, Pam Garrison, is visiting this area in the next few days and will be setting up work teams to help clean and rebuild those communities. If you have teams who want to get involved, please contact Pam at 1-800-282-8011, extension 148. There is much to be considered when sending teams in to help so we ask that everyone coordinate this through Pam. Due to the extensive damages this will be a marathon, not a sprint. Help will be needed for many months.
On a related note, some of our churches who had building damages were shocked to learn what their insurance deductible would be. If you haven't reviewed your insurance recently, we recommend reviewing it again so you are aware of your deductibles and can budget in money for them in case you too have structure damage some day. Living in Florida you never know when a storm will strike!
District Committee on Ministry (DCOM)
District Superintendent: Rev. Durwood Foshee (850) 386-2154 email@example.com
dCOM Chair: Rev. Dr. Kandace Brooks firstname.lastname@example.org
dCOM Registrar: Elizabeth Flynn email@example.com
DCOM Meeting Location: See below.
- Tues, Dec 11, 2018 (materials due Nov 13, 2018)
This date will be held at Wesley Memorial, Lake City
- Mon, Mar 18 (materials due Feb 18) Local Pastor Renewals - Day 1
These dates will be held at St. Paul's UMC, Tallahassee
- Tues, Mar 19 (materials due Feb 19) Local Pastor Renewals - Day 2
- Tues, May 14 (materials due Apr 16) 1st Provisional attempt
- Tues, Aug 13 (materials due Jul 16) 2nd Provisional attempt
- Tues, Dec 10 (materials due Nov 12)
Chaires United Methodist Church is holding its Annual Traditional Chicken Pilau on Thursday, November 8, from 4 pm to 8 pm. The menu includes pilau (chicken and rice) cooked in black, cast iron pots over wood fires the old fashioned way, green beans cooked with smoked ham for seasoning, coleslaw with homemade dressing, saltines, a dessert and iced tea or coffee; all for $10 per plate (children 5 and under eat free). No advance tickets sold - Eat in or carry out, as long as it lasts!
There will also be free entertainment on an open-air stage. Come and join under the big tent and enjoy good food and entertainment while visiting with old friends or making new acquaintances in a good, family atmosphere.
Chaires United Methodist Church is at 9243 Parkhill Road, just east of Chaires Crossroad immediately north of the railroad track in the Chaires Community in eastern Leon County. Hope to see you there.
GADSDEN COUNTY CHARGE CONFERENCE
Since the Gadsden County Charge Conference had to be cancelled due to storm damages and city curfews, we have now rescheduled it for Thursday, Nov. 15, 6:30 PM at Centenary UMC. Durwood looks forward to seeing you there. (Please note: the Coastal area churches' Charge Conference has not yet been rescheduled.)
STAFF PARISH COMMITTEE TRAINING
There will be a training for all SPR Committee Chairs on Monday, Nov. 26 at First UMC Live Oak and Monday, Dec. 10 at Good Samaritan UMC Tallahassee. The meetings will begin at 6:30 PM. All churches are asked to have their SPRC Chair in attendance as the District Superintendent shares important information. Please either call our office at 850/893-1116 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know if you plan to attend.
RESCHEDULED FALL FESTIVAL
Calvary United Methodist Church and Big Bend Front Porch Ministries has rescheduled the Coat Day & Fall Festival to Saturday, November 10 from 8:30am to Noon. Get all the details at http://www.bigbendfrontporch.org/fall-festival.html
-Woodville United Methodist Church, 9400 Old Woodville Highway is seeking a Director Of Music Ministries. This is a Part-Time Position. Responsibilities:
- Responsible for music ministries of the church in consultation with and supervision of the Pastor.
- Plan music for weekly Sunday worship service.
- Work with Worship Committee, Pastor, and congregation to establish an active full-time choir, hold weekly rehearsals.
- Collaborate with Pastor and Worship Committee in planning for seasonal or special event music.
- Assist Pastor in planning music for Funeral or Celebration of Life services.
- Work with leaders and children to include children in music ministry as appropriate.
- Ensure fill-in is available during planned absences.
- Meet periodically with Pastor, Staff-Parish Relations Committee and Worship Committee to evaluate programs and to update plans.
- Committed Christian with some familiarity and understanding of the United Methodist Church..
- College Degree or equivalent studies and experience in the areas of organ, piano, and choral directing.
- Available flexible hours and weekly schedules primarily consisting of Sunday mornings, weekly choir rehearsals, and necessary work in developing weekly music and planning for special music programs.
Annual salary commensurate with experience, paid on a monthly basis. Estimated minimum time required is 7-8 hours weekly plus travel time. If interested in applying please submit resume, including two professional, and two personal references, to: email@example.com. For further information please call church office at 850-421-7205 and leave a message.
Note: This position is required to comply with conduct policies established by the United Methodist Church (see Employee Conduct policy) as well as those established by Woodville United Methodist Church including Sexual Harassment, Child Protection, and Zero Tolerance Drug and Alcohol policies. The incumbent is subject to a Level 1 background check as required by the Methodist Conference.
-Waukeenah UMC is seeking a pianist. This is a part-time paid position. Please call 850-997-7326 or 850-210-9722. Thanks, pastor Richard Jones.