Warren Willis camp to remain closed for the summerCOVID-19 Missions and Outreach
The Warren Willis Camp in Fruitland Park will remain closed for the summer due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Even though the state of Florida recently allowed summer camps to open, a message the Camp’s governing board declared in a message on its Facebook page it “decided to follow John Wesley's edict to "Do No Harm."
The decision, the Board said, “is difficult and unprecedented. We truly believe that camp provides a unique opportunity for people to experience the transforming love of God in the context of Christian community. We mourn the loss of that opportunity this summer.”
The Florida Conference camp and retreat ministries have transformed the lives of campers, participants, guests, staff, and volunteers for more than years.
“We are devoted to providing a safe environment that allows for social, emotional, and spiritual growth as campers. We consulted guidelines from the American Camp Association, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and the Florida State Department of Health,” the Board wrote.
“It became clear that their recommendations for social distancing, PPE, sanitization, and quarantine protocols would need to be in place for summer programs to run. These measures would force new challenges on campers and staff and would not allow for the nurturing environment on which our programs rely. Even with these new protocols in place, health and safety are not something we can confidently provide this summer in the pandemic context.”
- Those who have already registered and made a payment toward a program have four options:
- Apply funds to next year’s deposit.
- Donate the deposit to help support the continued work of camp.
- Receive a full refund.
- Refund and donate: Take a partial refund and make a partial donation.
- COVID-19 forces churches to grapple about how to continue worship
- Church parking lots fill for COVID-19 testing
- How a scriptural imagination can help Christians face fear
- Q&A: What delay means for General Conference
- Updated Guidance as COVID-19 Cases Rise in Florida
Hurricane Irma - Hurricane Michael recovery: Volunteer to bring yourself or a team to help with the recovery.