UMCOR on Harvey: prayer, donations, relief kits needed first; volunteers laterDenominational News Disaster Recovery
Editor's Note: Click here for the latest updates on UMCOR's response to Hurricane Harvey relief efforts. Click here for FEMA's advice on how to best help disaster survivors in Texas. For a video about donating responsibly, click here.
Council of Bishops President Bishop Bruce R. Ough is urging all United Methodists to pray and offer support to the victims of the flooding in the Gulf Coast and the mudslides in Sierra Leone. Click here to read his statement.
UMCOR is currently working with disaster coordinators and early response teams in Louisiana and Texas to provide relief to the many people whose lives have been impacted by hurricane/tropical storm Harvey. We will continue to update this page and UMCOR social media as we receive new information.
5 Things You Can Do
1. Please continue to pray for those whose lives have been impacted by hurricane/tropical storm Harvey. Please also pray for the Early Response Teams, disaster coordinators, and many volunteers in The Texas Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church, Louisiana Conference of The United Methodist Church, Río Texas Conference of The United Methodist Church and Central Texas Conference who are working tirelessly to provide relief after Harvey.
2. Make relief kits, send complete kits to our relief-supply depots or an affiliate warehouse. Download the packing list and shipping label.
3. Partner with UMCOR in responding to the needs of communities and individuals impacted by Hurricane Harvey by giving to Advance #901670:
To give by mail:
P.O. Box 9068
New York, NY 10087-9068
Please note in the memo line: Advance 901670
4. Donate only those items requested.
5. Please wait for an invitation to volunteer.
Download this UMCOR church bulletin insert to share 5 Things You Can Do in response to Harvey.
To keep relief supplies in stock, give to Material Resources Advance #901440.UMNS photo by Michele Sibley, courtesy Bear Creek United Methodist Church.
- Churches pick up after Sally
- The Work of Disaster Recovery Photo Essay
- Especially now, preparation is vital in hurricane season
- Hurricane Irma recovery efforts winding down
- Council of Bishops focuses on “justice, reconciliation, and healing.”