Bishop Carter invites local churches to remember victims through acts of worshipConference News Social Justice
Sisters and Brothers in the churches of the Florida Conference,
In the name of Jesus Christ, our Savior and Lord, our Judge and our Hope, I greet you. After the shootings in south Florida earlier this week, I invite all of our congregations this Sunday to consider the following acts of worship:
1. A reading of my very brief statement, which is linked here.
2. A reading of the names of the seventeen persons who were killed on Wednesday at the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. You might light a candle and pray for the light of Jesus to come into our darkness. Jesus is the light of the world (John 1).
3. An offering of letters to our government officials, state and national, to prioritize the safety and sanctuary of our children amidst this repetitive and escalating violence. These letters can be placed on the altar of your church during the prayer time or at the conclusion of the service. This is in the spirit of the Book of Resolutions, #3428, “Our Call to End Gun Violence,” and our first General Rule, to “Do No Harm.”
Early in my ministry as a pastor, our church would encourage an offering of letters to advocate for children and hunger. We would mail these letters to our congressional and state representatives. I call upon the followers of Jesus to speak for those whose voices are silenced, and to speak for our children and grandchildren.
What if, across Florida and even our connection, we were able to collect and send 5000 letters?
I am grateful for the power of our connection.
The Peace of The Lord,
Resident Bishop, Florida Area
The United Methodist Church
Donate here to the Florida Conference Hurricane Irma Fund to help churches and the neighborhoods that surround them. Volunteer to bring yourself or a team to help with the recovery. Together, with God, we are bigger! #flumcWeAreBigger
- AC 2021 resolutions due Jan. 31
- Commentary: Hope is the flame that must carry us forward
- Bishop Carter Announces Mid-Year Moves
- Council urges no new US bishops for 4 years
- Craig Smelser recommended to be next Florida Conference Treasurer