Conference names new leadership for 2012-2013
At Florida's 2012 Annual Conference, leaders were approved to lead dozens of committees that carry out the missional work of The United Methodist Church in Florida.
|Rev. Beth Fogle-Miller, director of Connectional Ministries|
Rev. Beth Fogle-Miller, director of Connectional Ministries for the Florida Conference, presented the list of nominations. She reminded delegates that ministries of the church are open to all, but leaders must be members of the denomination. Some positions are filled through appointments by the bishop, some through local election and some by election at large.
Annual Conference delegates approved the suspension of rules in order to keep two leaders in place: Ken Minton will continue as Conference secretary, and Geraldine McClellan will continue as the chair of the Committee on Religion and Race.
Mickey Wilson will continue as Conference treasurer. Russ Graves of Melbourne was approved to succeed Sharon Luther of Fort Myers as the new Conference lay leader after attracting more votes than a nomination from the floor for Walter Dry of Spring Hill. Dry is former vice chair of the Board of Lay Ministry. Graves has been serving as associate Conference lay leader.
Also noteworthy are new officers on the Board of Trustees: Jim Manuel, president; Cary Hardee, vice president; and Janette Campbell, secretary.
Minton also was chosen to chair the Election Procedures Committee, with Janet Kelley as vice chair. Other committee members are Corey Britt, Bob Grizzard, Sharon Luther and Peggy Wilkins.
Rinaldo Hernandez was approved as Cabinet liaison to the Board of Ordained Ministry.
Approved at Conference for the new General Conference Legislative Committee were Anne Burkholder, chair and class of 2016; Alex Shanks, class of 2013; LaRonda Barnes, class of 2014; and Linda Tice, class of 2015.
Fogle-Miller said more names of laity need to be submitted to fill four spots on the legislative committee, as well as a need for names for youth and young adult leaders.
For information on how to nominate, email email@example.com or submit names to your district superintendent or lay leader.
The full report of leadership approved at Conference can be found by going to www.flumc.org, clicking on Annual Conference 2012 and then Workbook 2012. The list of names, committees and boards submitted before the Conference is on pages 35-64.
Several changes were made to district level nominations, as well as the following additions to the Conference-wide report after the workbook was published:
- Jeanie Baker, Mary McLendon, Joyce Todaro and Cheryl Woodman to the Women’s Retreat Design Team, class of 2015.
- Rosemary Uebel in place of Marie Sharpe as United Methodist Women’s representative serving on the Commission on the Status and Role of Women.
- Carol Sue Hutchinson to Advocates for Small Church Ministry.
- Sam Sheets as a lay member to the Board of Ordained Ministry.
- Sharon Luther as ex officio member, Southeastern Jurisdiction, to the Committee on Episcopacy, with Mozelle Thomas as Board of Trustees representative.
- Clarke Campbell Evans to chair the Committee on Investigation, with Lisa Degrenia as full clergy member and Jay Therrell as alternate. Professing alternate members are Woody Bodden, Betty Sue Mason and Jody Moxley.
Hurricane Irma - Hurricane Michael recovery: Volunteer to bring yourself or a team to help with the recovery.