DAYTONA BEACH – Florida Conference voting members not only filled a slate of 50 delegates and alternates for General Conference and Southeastern Jurisdictional Conference on June 13, the final day of the Annual Conference 2015, but also approved a date and time for the 2017 gathering. Members accepted June 8-10 as the dates for Annual Conference 2017, to be held in Orlando, the same location approved last year for 2016.
Members also affirmed Tony Prestipino as the Florida Conference treasurer, replacing retiring treasurer Mickey Wilson. Prestipino served previously as treasurer of the South Carolina Conference.
Five resolutions were adopted:
1. A request that the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) limit the advertising of sexually oriented products. The request will be sent electronically and by U.S. Postal Service to the FCC, and Florida Conference members are encouraged to write in support of the request to the FCC, local television stations and cable and satellite providers
2. Support of the human rights of Florida farmworkers. The Florida Conference calls on Publix Super Markets and Wendy’s restaurants to join the Fair Food Program developed by the Coalition of Immokalee Workers of Southwest Florida.
3. Encouragement of a just resolution process instead of church trials for resolving complaints against ordained pastors who officiate at same-sex weddings or congregations that host them.
4. Resolution in support of unborn children and expectant mothers. After discussion, voting members approved a resolution substantially amended from the original proposal. The amended resolution calls for the conference to encourage use of appropriate birth control, facilitation of adoption, support for crisis pregnancy centers and affirmation of the sanctity of life of the unborn child as well as the safety of the expectant mother.
5. Resolution calling for stronger local church support of Creation Care ministries. Churches are to have committees that adopt creation care practices and plan ways to implement them in all areas of ministry and mission.
– Susan Green is the Florida Conference managing editor.
Next generation headed to General Conference
View from the podium: an episcopal perspective on Annual Conference
Candles burn brightly to mark their passing
Meet your delegates
Florida Conference on solid ground, treasurer reports