Laity and clergy members of the conference are invited to engage in online conversation about their experiences with intergenerational mentoring and their vision for the Next Generations of our church. Participants will need to have a Twitter account. They can sign up for one for free by going to www.twitter.com.
The hashtag for the meeting will be #flumc15."The goal is to have a meeting via social media that helps us to learn more about how we are mentoring across generations and embracing the Next Generations in our church. We want people who favor using social media to share their experiences,” the Bishop said.
Participants are encouraged to discuss their personal experiences about being mentored or mentoring others, as well as how this strengthens disciples. They may also suggest ideas that encourage intentional intergenerational mentoring.
Here are some questions and guidelines suggested by Bishop Carter:
- Guiding rules: Do no harm. Do all the good you can. Be honest. Any comment is OK. We are learning. Introduce yourself (in 140 characters!). Be creative.
- What is your relationship to The United Methodist Church or the Florida Conference?
- When you think of the word "mentoring," what additional words come to your mind?
- How has someone mentored you?
- Describe how a mentor had a huge impact on your discipleship journey.
- What does the church do that gets in the way of intergenerational mentoring?
- How can people mentor in creative ways?
- What is important to remember about mentoring others as disciples of Jesus?
- What is the most important thing a bishop of The United Methodist Church can do to encourage cross-generational mentoring?
- Can each person close with a sentence prayer related to our gathering in one week in Daytona?
Bishop Carter's Tweet Meet will help set the stage for this year's Annual Conference, where the theme will be "Next Generations: Together in the Baptismal Waters." The conference is scheduled for June 10-13 at the Bethune-Cookman University’s Performing Arts Center in Daytona Beach.