District Superintendent's Message
How are you sharing the Good News of Jesus? If you haven't been asked that question recently, we are asking you now. You might think that it is in an uncomfortable thing to do sometimes. And we will admit that there are some times and some places where it is difficult. However, there are a large number of times where we have an opportunity to share the Good News and we don't.
When you think of all of the people that Jesus talked to and touched throughout his ministry, you will see that it didn't happen in just one location. He shared the Good News with everyone, everywhere.
Jay's March message focuses on this topic and what churches can do together to learn how to navigate these new waters.
2018 EQUIP Master Class Series
We are offering EQUIP Master Classes in 2018. All classes will be held at Fleming Island United Methodist Church, 7170 US-17, Fleming Island; set up as brown-bagged lunches; will begin at 11:30 a.m. and end at 1:30 p.m.; and, will be taught by the district superintendent. You can register to attend just one or multiple classes. Here are the class offerings:
- March 14, 2018 - Sermon Construction - Five Questions
- May 9, 2018 - Sermon Planning for a Year
- July 11, 2018 - How to Use Videos/Props in a Sermon
- August 29, 2018 - Sermon Delivery
- October 24, 2018 - Worship Design Team
- November 14, 2018 - Special Services (Advent, Christmas, Lent, All Saints)
These classes are free to attend. Just bring your bagged lunch. Please register in advance to attend.
Spring 2018 Lay Servant Ministry Training - Registration is open!
Training will be held on Friday, April 13, 2017 from 6:30-9 p.m. and also on Saturday, April 14, 2017 from 8:30 a.m.- 5 p.m at New Life Community UMC (please do not contact the church for event information.) Lunch and snacks will be provided.
Class sizes are limited to 15 students per class. Be sure to register early. No walk-in please. This training is open to all. If you are seeking to receive certification of re-certification credits you must attend all 10 hours of the training. Registration is now open and will run through April 3, 2017.
We are offering the following classes:
- Basic Lay Servant
- Advanced - Planning Worship
- Advanced - Leading in Prayer
- Advanced - Accountable Discipleship
- Advanced - From Your Heart to Theirs: Delivering an Effective Sermon
Register today! No walk-ins please.
Community Partnership Program from Jason's Deli
Jason's Deli is offering a discounted rate on catering with their Community Partnership Program. The District recently used Jason's Deli for the boxed lunches at the District Leadership Event. Here are some other perks:
- Free delivery within 15 miles of the deli. This mile radius may change with our franchise partners.
- Discounted Menu
- Minimum order of $25 for order with in 15 miles.
- Can deliver to groups of 5 or 5000. No order is too big or small!
For more information about their Community Partnership Program, visit their website. You can also download their program and pricing information here.
News from the Conference
- The Conference just received notice that the IRS has decreased the maximum HSA contribution for family coverage from $6,900 to $6,850 for 2018 as part of the change in the tax law. This affects family contributions only and not the single maximum of $3,450. If anyone has elected to contribute the full family amount, your HSA needs to cap at $6,850. For more information, please refer to this IRS Bulletin.
- SPAM Email - Clergy, if you received an email over the weekend from Kathy Curtis asking you to verify your flumc.org email, please DO NOT click on the link. It is SPAM.
- UM Connectional Federal Credit Union 2018 Scholarship - College Bound students ages 17-35 within the Conference could earn a $1000.00 Scholarship. They look forward to awarding four people with a $1000.00 2018 Scholarship. Click here for more information.
Active Shooter/Church Safety Materials
Our District recently offered Active Shooter and Church Safety trainings. We are fortunate and thankful to Ernest V. for taking time out of his busy schedule to help us learn how to keep our churches safer. If you are interested in viewing the materials presented, please visit our District page. All of the information is located under District Resources.
District Communications Team
We are in need of servants who have a heart for communications. We are hoping to put together a team of people that can help train on the following topics:
- Using Social Media (FaceBook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.)
- Build a new website
- Maintain their current website
- Newsletter and mass mailings
If you feel that you have these gifts and would like share your knowledge with others in the District, please contact Pam Mullay, 904-396-3026 or email@example.com. Our goal is to begin providing training in these areas by the June/July time firstname.lastname@example.org.
Church Happenings/Open Positions/Church Needs
- Emmanuel UMC in Palatka is in need of a Musician. Please view the job description here.
- Emmanuel UMC in Palatka is also in need of carpet to complete their parsonage renovation project. Please share their need for carpet and/or padding at Emmanuel UMC's parsonage with anyone who might be willing to assist. If you are able to make a donation, please contact Pastor John Baldwin, email@example.com. They need a total of 542.75 square feet of carpet. Here is a breakdown of the rooms:
- Space 1: 156 sq. ft.
- Space 2: 120 sq. ft.
- Space 3: 266.75 sq. ft.
- Gospel Musical Extravaganza - COME OUT AND SHOW YOUR LOVE FOR YOUR BROTHERS AND SISTERS AND PRAISE GOD IN MUSIC! This event will take place on June 2, 2018 and Alexander Memorial UMC is one of the event sponsors. Click here for the event flyer.
- Ortega UMC's Dodging Diabetes Tournament will be held on April 15, 2018. For more information and to sign up your youth group, download the event flyer.
- Christ UMC, Neptune Beach is seeking a part-time bookkeeper/treasurer with experience in QuickBooks Pro and prior work experience in a church. Qualified candidates should have full-charge bookkeeping knowledge, commitment to quality, and demonstrated success in similar positions. Prior work with a UMC is helpful. Hours are flexible so long as deadlines are met. There will be one mandatory night meeting monthly. Please send resume and cover letter to Rev. Bridget Thornton.
Do you have a passion to help youth connect with Jesus and the church? Christ UMC, Neptune Beach is seeking a part-time Director of Youth Ministries. We are looking for someone who is in a growing relationship with Jesus, who can develop a team, oversee ministry, and most importantly build relationships with youth in the community and in the church. We value team and are looking for someone to help build the team within the church. The Director of Youth Ministries would help grow and develop our existing youth ministries. Please send resume and cover letter to Rev. Bridget Thornton.
March 14, 2018 - Equip Master Series 11:30 - 1:30 @ Fleming Island UMC – Brown Bag Lunch.
April 29, 2018 - Announcement Sunday
May 1 & 15, 2018 - Great Beginnings Training churches with a pastoral transition only, Shores UMC, St. Augustine
May 31, 2018 - Right Start for New & Moving Clergy, 10-4 @ First UMC, Lakeland
June 1, 2018 - Right Start for New Clergy (Sexual Ethics & HR), 9-4 @ First UMC, Lakeland
June 7-9, 2018 - Annual Conference, Florida Southern College, Lakeland
June 26, 2018 - Moving Day
September 12, 2018 - District Administrative Brunch, 9:30-12:30 @ Southside UMC.
September 14-15, 2018 - District Lay Servant Ministry Training @ Ortega UMC, Jacksonville
October 20, 2018 - Super-Charged Conference @ CrossRoad UMC, Jacksonville