An excellent resource book is Jake McGlothin’s book, The Mission-Minded Guide to Church and School Partnerships. He is the director of Serve Ministries at Floris United Methodist Church in Herndon, Virginia. You may order this book here.
Our Kids, The American Dream in Crisis is a great resource helping to put the partnerships in the larger context of the need. This book checks in on the current climate in the United States for children and the assets that surround them to help them grow and thrive.
Beyond the Bake Sale: The Essential Guide to Family/School Partnerships
This short video highlights the initiative with Bishop Carter, a local pastor, school principal and teacher providing a focus on the need to be filled and the vision to meet that need. It is 4:50 in length and may be downloaded here.
There is a DVD resource put together by the Lewis Center for Church Leadership, Engaging Local Schools, that provides videos on the why and how of establishing partnerships. You may order this resource here.
50 Ways to Engage Local Schools put together by the Lewis Center for Church Leadership may be downloaded for free here.
Understanding the Opportunity Gap
Movies and Documentaries
- Class Divide, documentary
- McFarland USA, movie
- Summer Learning Loss explained by Brian Williams of NBC Nightly News
- The Statisticks Lottery
Books and Articles
- Same Kind of Different As Me: A Modern-Day Slave, an International Art Dealer, and the Unlikely Woman Who Bound Them Together by Ron Hall and Denver Moore
- Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, death, and hope in a Mumbai undercity by Katherine Boo
- An Invisible Thread: The True Story of an 11-Year-Old Panhandler, a Busy Sales Executive, and an Unlikely Meeting with Destiny by Laura Schroff and Alex Tresniowski
- A Framework for Understanding Poverty by Ruby K. Payne