As we watch and anticipate Dorian’s landfall in Florida, please continue to be vigilant in your preparations.
Here’s a simple checklist of things to have:
- Floridians are encouraged to have at least 10 days of supplies. These supplies include food, water, medicine, batteries, first aid kit, etc. See a full hurricane prep checklist here.
- Have some cash on hand and a full tank of gas in your car.
- Let out-of-state family members know your plans (stay or evacuate) and that you will communicate with them as soon as possible, after the storm has passed.
- Secure loose items around the home and church: lawn furniture, playground equipment, etc.
- If planning to evacuate or in a mandatory evacuation zone, evacuate early.
- Save this number: 1-855-CAT-FUMC This is the conference hotline where you can
- Call for assistance
- Report needs in your neighborhood or community
- Offer assistance
- If your church has flood buckets stored, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org . Tell us your church name and city, how many flood buckets you have on hand and your contact person with phone and email.
UMCOR has committed to a solidarity grant to assist in immediate relief efforts. If you are able, please consider donating to UMCOR, where 100% of your gift goes directly to disaster relief and recovery efforts. You can also give directly to the Florida Conference as we assist our churches and communities impacted by the storm. All donations should be marked for Hurricane Dorian.
Stay safe and keep your family and community safe.
The Florida Conference of The United Methodist Church
450 Martin L King Jr Ave
Lakeland, FL 33815
(863) 688-5563 or toll free (800) 282-8011