1. Seminary Students
Through the Ministerial Education Fund (MEF) and other generous gifts, financial assistance is available for persons who are pursuing licensing or ordination. This fund is available to any certified candidate for ministry from the Florida Conference who is attending an approved seminary.
Grants may be awarded for up to $600 per course each semester, with no maximum number of courses. This includes Spring, Summer, Fall, and J Terms.
It is hoped that those receiving these funds will serve in the Florida Conference. If, for some reason, a person does not serve in the Florida Conference, or a conference in the Southeastern Jurisdiction of The United Methodist Church, financial repayment may be required.
For Deacons, we will support all Basic Graduate Theological Study Courses (BGTS) taken at a United Methodist Senate Approved Seminary. Courses towards a specialty master's degree, other than a M.Div. are not eligible for Ministerial Education Funds.
*NEW* Application Due Dates:
- Fall: September 1
- Spring: February 1
- Summer: June 1
Failure to apply on time may result in your request for funds being denied.
*Form works best on a computer, not a tablet.*
2. Local Pastors - Course of Study
Through the Ministerial Education Fund (MEF), licensed local pastors receive assistance with the cost of the Course of Study program. We pay $300 per course for each class in which the person is enrolled. For ACOS, the reimbursement is up to $400. This is reimbursed to the student upon submitting receipts to the Office of Clergy Excellence.
3. Continuing Education
Ministerial Education Funds are available for continuing education purposes for appointed clergy who are members in full connection or associate members of the Florida Conference. Each eligible clergy may request up to $750 a quadrennium. These funds are administered as long as funds are available in a current calendar year.
4. Passing the Torch Fund
The Passing the Torch Fund is a Florida Conference grant program begun in 2015 to provide training, financial assistance and leadership development support for conference clergy and those preparing for ordained ministry in the Florida Conference of The United Methodist Church.
It is administered by the Office of Clergy Excellence and funded by the Florida United Methodist Foundation and conference Board of Pension and Health Benefits. Funding is currently committed through 2021.
During each annual conference session, individuals ordained deacon or elder in full connection will receive $5,000 from this fund to help alleviate educational debt. The fund also supplements the Ministerial Education Fund assistance provided to clergy and cooperative grant efforts through the Office of Clergy Excellence.
In addition, grants from the fund will provide:
- Financial assistance to help Florida Conference clergy in Full Connection take renewal leave, and
- A seminary scholarship to a qualified student of color and culture who is planning to enter United Methodist ministry and who attends an approved seminary.
Both the grant for renewal leave and scholarship are competitive grants. Applications for both are being accepted until April 30, 2021.
Please see examples of how the fund can be used by visiting the link below.
5. McKeefery Seminary Scholarship Fund
Given by Dr. Ruth M. McKeefery, to honor her husband, Dr. William James McKeefery, and children, Dr. Virginia L. McKeefery-Reynolds, Carol A. McKeefery Banga, and W. James McKeefery.
CLICK HERE if you applying for scholarship for the first time.
CLICK HERE if you are reapplying for the scholarship.
CRITERIA TO DETERMINE DISTRIBUTION OF INCOME
Income from the McKeefery Scholarship Fund is to be distributed using the following criteria:
• Individual is a member of St. Luke’s United Methodist Church or another United Methodist Church in the Florida Annual Conference.
• Individual is accepted to attend or currently attending a Seminary.
• Individual is planning to be ordained as Deacon, Elder or Seminary Certification in the United Methodist Church.
• Individual demonstrates a personal faith and commitment to full-time Christian service.
• Individual has actively participated in ministries of the church, and served as a volunteer in the community.
• The Scholarship award will be used to pay for tuition, fees and books, and will be paid directly to the Seminary in the recipient’s name.
• The minimum Scholarship award will be $1,000 to each person approved by the award committee.
MCKEEFERY SCHOLARSHIP FUND COMMITTEE
The McKeefery Scholarship Fund Committee will be composed of no fewer than three persons appointed by St. Luke’s Lay Leadership Committee. Each committee member will be a member of St. Luke’s United Methodist Church, serve for a term of three-years and may serve another three-year term.
• The committee will announce the availability of the scholarship to the church congregation in January.
• The committee will approve the scholarship application form, determine the application deadline date, and distribute the form.
• The committee will review the applications, select the recipients and determine the amount of the award.
• Each award will be for one academic year, commencing with a Fall Term.
• Students may receive annual awards for four years if enrolled in Seminary.
• The Seminary Scholarship Fund Committee chairperson will be notified by St. Luke’s Endowment Committee, or St, Luke’s Finance Officer of the total funds available for distribution each year.
• The Seminary Scholarship Fund Committee chairperson will notify St. Luke’s finance office with the names of the individuals to receive the award(s).
• The Seminary Scholarship Fund Committee will send a personal letter of their action to the award recipient(s) and other applicants.
• The minimum scholarship award will be $1,000 to each award recipient.
APPLICATION AND AWARD DATES
The McKeefery Seminary Scholarship Committee must receive completed application with all attachments, requested letter and official undergraduate transcript by April 1. Applications can be mailed to the below address or emailed to email@example.com
Letters of award decisions will be mailed by May 1.
ST. LUKE’S UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
MCKEEFERY SEMINARY SCHOLARSHIP COMMITTEE
4851 S. APOPKA-VINELAND ROAD
ORLANDO, FL 32819