North East District
Spring Lay Servant Training April 18-19, 2020
Spring Glen UMC | Jacksonville, FL
**Please note that we have changed the schedule from our traditional Friday/Saturday training to a new Saturday/Sunday training. We are hoping that this will make it easier for folks who do not like to drive at night or deal with rush hour traffic on Friday nights.
Classes will run on Saturday, April 18, 2020 (9 a.m. - 5 p.m. - check-in begins at 8:30 a.m.) and Sunday, April 19, 2020 (3 - 5:30 p.m.) with lunch and snacks provided on Saturday. The classes will be held at Spring Glen UMC | 6007 Beach Blvd | Jacksonville, FL 32216. Class sizes are limited to 15 students per class. Cost is $30 per person. Be sure to register early. NO walk-in registrations please. If you want to register by check, please call Pam at the District Office at 904-396-3026 and she will help you get registered.
This training is open to all. If you are seeking to receive certification of re-certification credits you must attend all 10 hours of the training.
We are offering the following class selections (please note that you must purchase your own book in advance**):
- Basic Lay Servant Class with Rev. Steve Painter of Spring Glen UMC - This basic course includes a study of what it means to be God’s called people and how we may be at work for God in our own communities. The course provides learning opportunities in three areas of service for lay speakers: leading, caring and communicating. Required Book: "Lay Servant Ministries" by Sandy Zeigler Jackson/Brian Jackson - ISBN # 978-0-88177-626-3**
- Fresh Expressions: How Laity Lead in a Changing Culture with Rev. Michael Beck, South Atlantic Coordinator Fresh Expressions US - The course offering will aim to help define the roles for laity, which are pioneer, supporter or permission-giver, with a team launching a Fresh Expression. Laity will develop and identify gifts and graces that can meet the unchurched and begin a discipleship journey. The course will help participants develop a deeper understanding of their Fresh Expression and role within a church movement. All laity and clergy are invited! This is an Approved Advanced Lay Servant Class. A Certificate of Completion for CEU’s will be provided for Clergy. Required book – Deep Roots Wild Branches by Michael Beck. – ISBN #978-1-62824-622-3** Please note that this class only is open to an unlimited number of registrants. It is not capped at 15.
- Lay Servants as Christian Transformational Leaders with Ms. Carol Carroll of Memorial UMC, Fernandina Beach (Advanced Lay Servant) This course will guide lay servants seeking to be more empowered to lead their congregations toward vitality. Required book – Lay Servants as Christian Transformational Leaaders by Marc Brown, Kathy Merry & John Briggs – ISBN #978-0-88177-881-6**
- Life Together in the United Methodist Connection with Rev. Jay Therrell, District Superintendent (Advanced Lay Servant) This course gives participants an overview of the structure and organization of The United Methodist Church. A copy of the 2016 Book of Discipline is recommended to bring to class. Please borrow a copy from your local church office for this class. If your church does not have one, please contact the district office to help find you one. Please DO NOT purchase the 2016 Book of Discipline) Required book – Polity, Practice and the Mission of The United Methodist Church by Thomas Edward Frank – ISBN #978-0-68733-531-2**
- Public Prayer with Ms. Tina Roach of First UMC, Macclenny (Advanced Lay Servant) Praying in public can be daunting, but prayers is something one learns This course on praying inpublic will help the participant grow in confidence and skill in public prayer and enrich their personal prayer life. Required book – Shaping the Prayers of the People: The Art of Intercession by Samuel Wells and Abigail Kocher. – ISBN #978-0-80287-097-1**
**Please note all registrants are required to purchase their own book. Books will NOT be provided at the start of the training. Please be sure to order your book early so you can read the text prior to class. Books can be purchased at www.cokesbury.com; www.upperroom.org and through other sites such as Amazon.