North Central District
Spring 2023 Lay Servant Ministry Training
Saturday March 4th, 2023
7:30 AM – 5:30 PM
Belleview United Methodist Church
5640 SE Brown Road
Belleview, FL 34420
Classes will be held at Belleview UMC in The Villages on Saturday, March 4, 2023
Check-in begins at 7:00 AM. Light breakfast and lunch provided.
Class sizes are limited to 15 students per class. Cost is $25 per person. Be sure to register early.
NO walk-in registrations please. If you want to register by check, please call Marissa at the District Office at (352) 789-6981 and she will help you get registered.
This training is open to all. If you are seeking to receive certification of re-certification credits you must attend all 10 hours of the training.
*Please note that you must purchase your own book in advance.*
We are offering the following class selections:
- Advanced: Called to Preach
- Instructor: Rev. Larry C. Rogers
- Called to Preach is designed for those who have not completed formal preaching training, for pastors seeking a basic refresher course, and for others who are called upon to preach in a pastor’s absence. Called to Preach is the required preaching course in the lay speaker track of study.
- *Required Book: "From Pew to Pulpit, A Beginner’s Guide to Preaching by Clifton F. Guthrie - ISBN # 978-0-68706-660-5
- 2nd Class Session Required - Saturday March 18, 2023 from 8:30-11:30 AM Via Zoom. A Computer/laptop/tablet or Smart Device with a camera, microphone and internet connection is required.
- Advanced: Leading Public Prayer
- Instructor: David Palmer
- Praying in public can be daunting, but prayer is something one learns. This course on praying in public will help the participant grow in confidence and skill in public prayer and enrich their personal prayer life. Prayer is something we learn; it is something that can be taught.
- *Required book – "Shaping the Prayers of the People: The Art of Intercession" Samuel Wells and Abigail Kocher – ISBN # 978-0-8028-7097-1?
- Advanced: For the Common Good: Discovering and Using Your Spiritual Gifts
- Instructor: RoseMarie Ash
- This course offers a scriptural understanding of spiritual gifts as always given “for the common good.” By helping participants identify and link their gifts, abilities, and sense of calling, laity will learn the powerful connection between spiritual gifts and vocational discernment in the context of the mission of their local church. They will also learn how to make spiritual gifts discernment a part of their congregation’s culture and commitment to equip mission-focused leaders who make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.
- *Required book – "For the Common Good: Discovering and Using Your Spiritual Gifts" by Christine Harman - ISBN #978-0-88177-958-5
Please note all registrants are required to purchase their own book. Books will NOT be provided at the start of the training. Please be sure to order your book early so you can read the text prior to class. Books can be purchased at www.cokesbury.com; www.upperroom.org; or other sites such as Amazon.