We are offering a virtual lay servant training program in January/February 2022. The class offerings are similar to what was offered in the Fall 2021 and we added a few new ones as well. We are hoping that those of you who could not attend in person due to the restrictions, can attend virtually.
Here is the breakdown of the event:
- We will have an opening and closing session like we have had in the past. After the opening session, you will be sent into a breakout room with your instructor and fellow students. Each week once you sign on, you will be sent directly into your breakout room.
- The dates are as follows (all sessions are from 7-9 p.m.:
- January 4, 2022
- January 25, 2022
- February 1, 2022
- February 8, 2022 (February 6, 2022 for the Life Together in UM Connection class only)
- February 15, 2022
- You must attend all of the sessions to receive certification.
- Cost is $10 to attend. You must also purchase your own book. If you want to register by check, please call Pam at the District Office at 904-396-3026 and she will help you get registered.
We are offering the following class selections (please note that you must purchase your own book in advance**):
- Basic Lay Servant Class with Rev. Larry Dunn of Garden City UMC - This basic course includes a study of what it means to be God’s called people and how we may be at work for God in our own communities. The course provides learning opportunities in three areas of service for lay speakers: leading, caring and communicating. Required Book: "Lay Servant Ministries" by Sandy Zeigler Jackson/Brian Jackson - ISBN # 978-0-88177-626-3**
- Advanced Class - Accountable Discipleship with Rev. David Preston of Wesconnett UMC - This course focuses on the concept of the household of God, the importance of scripture as divine revelation, Wesleyan understandings of grace, and the importance of the office of class leader in the development of the Methodist movement. You are encouraged to look at your own faith community and see how it is (or is not) a reflection of genuine Christian community. Required Book: "Accountable Discipleship" by Steven W. Manskar - ISBN # 978-0-88177-339-2**
- Embracing Personal Prayer with Rev. Brian Sanderson of Middleburg UMC (Advanced Lay Servant) At the end of this course, you will be able to establish a daily practice for communicating with God and listening for God’s answers. You will find ways to come to the Lord in prayer (singing, fasting, praying the Scriptures, praying for others, and using intercessory prayer.) You will explore the many names of Jesus and God you can use for adoration in your prayer. You will identify your need to overcome the barriers you may now be experiencing in your prayer life. Finally, you will be provided useful tools for structuring your prayer life and focusing on the Lord. Required book – Lord, Teach Us to Pray by Margie Burger – ISBN #978-0-88177-570-9**
- Leading Bible Study with Rev. Jeanine Clontz of Flagler Beach UMC (Advanced Lay Servant) - This course opens a new world for many lay servants who have not had professional training in biblical interpretation. Required book – Biblical Interpretation: A Roadmap by Sharon Ringe and Frederick Tiffany – ISBN #9780687016082**
- Life Together in the United Methodist Connection with Rev. Durwood Foshee, District Superintendent (Advanced Lay Servant) - This course gives participants an overview of the structure of the United Methodist Church. A copy of the 2016 Book of Discipline is recommended for this course (Ask your church office to borrow their copy.) Required book – Polity, Practice & the Mission of The United Methodist Church – ISBN #9780687335312**
- Rediscovering Your Spiritual Gifts with Bill & Katherine Howell of Highlands UMC (Advanced Lay Servant) The early church knew what today's church is rediscovering: that Christians depend on God's spiritual gifts to provide the foundation for their ministry. Learn more about how your spiritual gifts support your Lay Servant Ministries in this online 10-hour course. Required books – Each One a Minister by William Carter. – ISBN #978-0-88177-375-0 and Spirit Gifts Participant's Workbook by Patricia D. Brown - ISBN #978-0-687-00858-2** (Please note that this class is required for those who want to take the CLM Training in 2022.)
**Please note all registrants are required to purchase their own book. Books will NOT be provided at the start of the training. Please be sure to order your book early so you can read the text prior to class. Books can be purchased at www.cokesbury.com; www.upperroom.org and through other sites such as Amazon.