Construction Coordinator – Hurricane Irma
Position Title: Construction Coordinator
Position Status: Temporary, Full-time, Salaried, Grant Employee
Reports To: Local Project Coordinator
Provide construction and volunteer management in support of the disaster case managers and long term recovery. We're hiring in multiple locations:
Essential Job Functions:
- Collier County
- Tampa Bay (Pasco, Pinellas, Hillsborough)
- Central Florida (Polk, Highlands, Glades, Hendry, DeSoto, Hardee)
- Monroe County
- Coordinate the efforts of volunteers, contractors and inspectors in order to complete multiple projects in a timely manner in partnership with volunteer committee.
- Cultivate effective relationships with partner agencies, inspectors, vendors, and the community.
- Orient volunteers to project expectations and assign specific jobs according to their skills and abilities.
- Assist disaster survivors in home repair; providing guidance, supervision, technical advice and expertise in conjunction with case management; walk homeowners through the proper permit process.
- Conduct project inspections and provide itemized estimates for labor and materials.
- Complete and explain the statement of understanding with the homeowners, as needed.
- Meet with appropriate building inspectors and have a good working knowledge of standard codes and construction.
- Secure all components needed to complete home repair projects including timely acquisition of materials, equipment and tools in partnership with donations committee, case management and unmet needs committee as needed.
- Supervise the work of all volunteers and contractors in order to ensure safety, quality workmanship and high morale.
- Maintain accurate records of construction progress and financial accounts for each project.
- Complete all essential documentation and reports, including home repair agreements.
- Manage and control building funds, tools, and equipment.
- Demonstrate and teach construction skills and techniques to volunteers and disaster survivors as needed.
- Other duties as assigned by the Project Coordinator with input as needed from the Project Manager and/or the LTR Leadership.
- An appreciation of the nature and mission of the Church is essential.
- Basic knowledge in all sub-codes including building, plumbing, and electrical/HVAC
- Working knowledge of local and International Building Code
- Basic computer skills
- Experience supervising single and multi-dwelling rehabilitation/construction projects
- Experience in resolving contractor disputes and problem solving skills
- Experience estimating entire construction projects
- Ability to work with people of all ages, ethnic and religious backgrounds
- Must be able to work in a stressful environment
- Must have physical and mental stamina and be able to perform successfully under time-limited pressure
- Must have flexibility to adjust accommodate others schedules including some night or weekend hours
- Knowledge of the community and current elevation/flood plain requirements is required.
Preference for a member of a United Methodist Church.
General Contractor’s License in Florida (past or present)
- Must have a valid driver’s license and reliable vehicle to be able to drive within the services’ area as needed to fulfill the requirements of the position.
- Constant interaction with internal and external third parties for the purpose of collecting and distributing information
- Spends over 50% of time sitting; remainder of time includes walking, standing
- Must be able to lift up to 40 lbs and climb stairs
- Must be able to work outside in a variety of weather conditions including extreme heat and humidity
- Must work cooperatively and collaboratively with internal and external clients and stakeholders across the Florida Conference
Contact: Marilynn Mollica