Director of Worship and Student Discipleship
Reports to: Senior Pastor
The Director of Worship and Student Discipleship is a full-time position that develops and integrates the ministries of worship (in traditional and modern styles) and student discipleship (grades 6 through 12) as part of a cooperative ministry team that seeks excellence as we equip Christ followers of all ages in fulfilling our God-given vision “to be internally strong in faith and externally focused in service so that we connect people at life’s crossroads with God’s love and grace.”
This position is responsible for developing, coordinating, and leading an effective
- Traditional Sanctuary Choir,
- Modern Worship Band,
- Student Worship Band,
- Special Music and Services, as needed and/or requested, and a
- Comprehensive Student Discipleship Ministry (including group building, Christian formation, and service)
The Director of Worship and Student Discipleship should have a demonstrated track record of leadership in diverse age-level worship and discipleship ministries.
- Solid understanding of the foundations of the Christian faith, embracing Christian discipline and United Methodist doctrine and theology.
- A desire to nurture people in the Christian faith through a high level of energy and excitement
- A proven ability to work effectively with, recruit, and empower diverse, multi-generational individuals and teams of volunteers.
- Experience in leading worship across diverse styles.
- Experience in ensemble leadership, including directing, rehearsing, arranging, accompanying.
- Proficiency in playing piano, with the ability to lead while playing, solo and with a team across various styles of music.
- A bachelor’s degree in a related field – with broad exposure to worship and discipleship styles – and/or 2+ years experience in these leadership areas
- Excellent skills in written, verbal, and interpersonal communication.
- Computer skills including ProPresenter, Keynote, and Microsoft Office for Mac.
- Fundamental A/V Skills on a digital soundboard and broadcast system.
- A calling to ministry or equivalent passion for worship and student discipleship ministries.
- Develop and maintain a strategy for reaching and assimilating worship ministry participants as well as students and their families into the greater life of the South Shore UMC.
- Work in concert with the gifts and talents of other staff members and maintain a teamwork mentality.
- Participate in annual budgeting process as directed by the pastor.
- Ensure that the Child and Youth Protection Policy is observed in all ministry settings.
- In concert with the pastor,
- Select, prepare music for, and lead during the weekly Traditional Service.
- Select, prepare music for, and lead during the weekly Modern Service.
- Plan and lead special worship services, as requested, such as Ash Wednesday, Holy Week Services, Service of Longest Night, Christmas Eve, etc.
- Rehearse chancel choir, modern worship team, and student worship team weekly.
- Work in concert with the gifts and talents of worship ministry participants, church staff, and AV Team and communicate regularly - timely and responsibly – on needs/requests in order to lead worship with excellence.
- Develop and finalize weekly and special worship presentations with great attention to detail, visual display, and accuracy.
- In concert with the pastor,
- Student Discipleship
- Help plan, coordinate, and implement all aspects of a balanced student discipleship ministry in the areas of group building, Christian formation, and service, including small groups; UMYF; weeknight programs; summer programs; retreat and/or camps; mission trips; fundraisers; and special events, as applicable.
- Be an advocate for students and educate the congregation about the hopes, concerns and needs of youth in the local church and community.
- Recruit, vet, and train volunteers who work with youth in all aspects of youth ministry and ensure adequate volunteer support and adult to youth ratios.
- Ensure effective and timely communication with church staff, leadership, parents and/or guardians, and the congregation as a whole.
Salary will be commensurate with skill and experience.
Interested candidates are invited to send
- A resume with cover letter
- Three professional references,
- A video-recording demonstrating your worship leadership, and
- A video-recording demonstrating your large group teaching skills to email@example.com by June 24, 2023.
Contact: Sarah B. Miller
Location: South Shore UMC | Riverview
Address: 11525 Big Bend Road Riverview FL 33579
Email: Click to email