Children and Young Families Director
Lakeside United Methodist Church
POSITION TITLE: Children and Young Families Director
REPORTS TO: Pastor, Youth and Families Director
SUPERVISION: Nursery Attendants, Volunteers
PRIMARY FUNCTION: Directs all children (6 weeks through 5th grade) and their families in ministries that help them become and grow as disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world. This includes both the creation and direction of events specifically for children and young families, as well as the integration of children and young families within the church as a whole.
- Be a committed follower of Jesus Christ, seeking to know, love, and serve God
- Possess a strong sense of call from God to children’s and young family ministry
- Understand and be able to champion the church’s purpose, vision, and journey as well as the theology and traditions of the United Methodist Church
- Driven to reach kids and families who do not know Christ by providing a space for them to connect with other kids, families, and leaders at Lakeside
- Leadership skills and organizational abilities
- Strong verbal and written communication skills including the ability to connect with children, toddlers, parents/grandparents, and volunteers
- Knowledge of children’s development, current trends in children’s ministry, and the ability to integrate children’s ministry with discipleship in the whole family
- Clear Level 2 background check (local, state, and FBI)
PRINCIPLE DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Exemplify the church’s values and uphold the staff covenant
- Call children to form within themselves a desire to know, love, and serve Jesus
- Grow engagement with Lakeside by creating and implementing a strategy that draws families into the church through children’s and young family ministry
- Create, develop, seek out, and/or adapt curriculum and events that are age appropriate and align with the church’s goals and theology
- Ex. Sunday morning classes, retreats, VBS, etc.
- Encourage and equip families to be the leader of their child’s spiritual development
- Create a plan for being present in and building relationships with the community through schools and other organizations
- Recruit, hire, train, inspire, and schedule paid nursery/children’s staff
- Recruit, train, inspire, and organize volunteers
- Enforce our Child Protection Policy
- Identify budgetary needs and manage the budget
- Work with the Preschool Director to create connections that allow for fellowship, discipleship, and mission to flow both ways between the staff and families of the church and school
- Work with Trustees to maintain the ministry areas
- Work with the Pastor and worship design team to ensure worship is accessible and meaningful for children and young families
- Work with the Communications Director to publicize ministries to the church and community, including collaborating on social and new media as is appropriate
- Work with church staff in achieving common goals, especially holiday services and programs involving children.
- Perform other duties as directed by the Pastor
HOURS: Position is part-time and will require 25-30 hours per week. Weekly schedule may be worked out in coordination with the Pastor. Sunday mornings are required.
PAY AND NON-BENEFITS: Salary is dependent upon applicable experience, education, and other qualifications. No benefits are available for this part-time position.
REVIEW: Following the three-month probationary evaluation, there will be an annual review of the effectiveness the employee’s performance and an annual review of the structure of the position.
SUPERVISION: Reports directly to the Youth and Families Director and interfaces regularly with the Pastor. The Staff-Parish Team participates in evaluation, support, training processes, and hiring/firing decisions.
TO APPLY: Please submit a cover letter and resume to the Lakeside UMC office. You may email materials to email@example.com with the job title in the subject line. PDF or Microsoft Word file formats are preferred. You may also bring materials to our office during office hours: Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Have questions? You can email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the office at 407-330-6560.
Contact: Pastor Dan Wunderlich
Location: Lakeside UMC
Address: 121 N. Henderson Lane Sanford FL 32771
Email: Click to email