Director of Student Ministry
This position is full-time (35-40 hours a week). It is preferred that applicants have the ability to work with both children and youth.
Morrison UMC’s mission is to connect people to God’s transforming love through worship, discipleship, fellowship, and service. Morrison UMC is located in downtown Leesburg and serves the greater Leesburg area – this includes communities south of Leesburg, the southern portion of the Villages, Fruitland Park, and more.
Purpose: To lead a student ministry that reaches children and youth from kindergarten through grade 12). This includes nurturing children and youth as Christ followers who are already a part of our church and reaching out to those who are not yet a part.
The Director of Student Ministry will be able to demonstrate the following:
- A growing relationship with God through Jesus Christ and be able to share a calling to student ministry.
- Having a United Methodist background or understanding of Wesleyan theology is preferred, however others are welcome to apply.
- Must be able to work under the current Book of Discipline of the United Methodist Church. And must be able to follow the various personnel policies of Morrison UMC and the Florida Annual Conference of the UMC.
- Some college is preferred, but not required.
- Previous children and/or youth ministry experience is preferred.
- Ability to plan, organize, lead, and guide projects and other activities related to student ministries
- Must be able to work in a team environment.
- Maintaining a positive outlook is critical.
- Communication, organization/planning, and leadership skills are critical.
- Must be able to pass background check.
- Must be willing to work within our staff covenant.
- To set the overall vision, in consultation with others, for student ministry with an action plan to carry it out
- To develop programs, activities, trips, and events that enable our students to live out our church’s mission
- To work with the Pastor on a yearly Confirmation program
- To plan and coordinate family ministry events
- To build and maintain relationships with students inside and outside of the church.
- To recruit, train and oversee volunteer leaders – meet regularly with volunteers and provide annual training events, including our annual Youth/Child Protection Policy training.
- To provide Sunday morning children’s activities on a weekly basis during the school year.
- To provide Wednesday evening youth activities weekly during the school year.
- Facilitate summer mission trip or other mission focused activities for students in grades 6-12.
- As our program grows, to oversee and train Sunday School teachers. In the short-term, the director will likely need to teach a class to help us rebuild children and youth Sunday school.
- If the need arises, to provide oversight of Sunday worship nursery volunteer or staff.
- To maintain regular communication with students (in accordance with policies) and their parents
- To make use of various communication tools including email, phone, texts, and social media.
- To prepare and oversee the student ministry budget, In cooperation with the Pastor and finance committee
- Support and encourage our youth band. Director of Student Ministry does not need to have musical abilities.
- To attend worship weekly at Morrison.
Salary: $30,000.00 - $35,000.00 per year
Contact: David Stauffer
Location: Morrison United Methodist Church
Address: 1005 W. Main Street Leesburg 34748
Email: Click to email