Director of Children's Ministry
Position Description – Director of Children’s Ministry
Position Overview: The Director of Children’s Ministry will lead Suntree UMC in developing a holistic, dynamic, and comprehensive vision and strategy for facilitating the spiritual development and growth of children and their families in keeping with our Suntree UMC vision of loving God, loving each other, and loving our neighbors in extraordinary ways. The Director will work to create an atmosphere where children can learn basic Christian truths and the foundations of faith in a healthy and fun atmosphere where children can explore their faith and their relationship with God. The Director is responsible for the development and implementation of all programmatic elements relating to Children’s Ministry at SUMC, including ministry to children in nursery, preschool, and elementary school as well as recruiting, training, and managing youth and adult volunteers in the ministry.
Qualifications: The Director of Children’s Ministry must possess a love for children and a passion for communicating the gospel in age-appropriate ways with children. Must possess the ability to cast vision and generate excitement and commitment to children’s ministry. The Director must also be a self-starter, a team player, and possess strong interpersonal skills with the ability to maintain healthy and motivating relationships with supervisors, coworkers, and volunteers. Must also possess a healthy, vital, and growing personal faith in Jesus Christ and be willing to embrace the vision, values, and statement of faith of SUMC. Organizational, communication and time management skills are a must.
Preferred Education and Experience:
Bachelor of Arts – preferably in elementary education
Previous Children’s ministry experience
- Plan, oversee and implement all programing for Children’s Ministries, (nursery through 5th grade) including, but not limited to, Sunday mornings, Wednesday nights, VBS, Music, Art, Dance and Drama Camp, Children’s components of other church events such as Holy Week, Advent season, as well as Outreach ministries, etc.
- Provide strategic leadership, planning, and supervision to any other Children’s Ministry staff
- Recruits, trains, and supports volunteer leaders
- Develops processes necessary for effective Children’s Ministry operations (such as check-in, safety, background screening, etc.)
- Oversees implementation of Suntree UMC Child and Youth Protection Policies
- Responsible for Children’s Ministry budget and financial oversight including staffing and ordering and stocking supplies
- Oversee the selection and implementation of Children’s Ministry curriculum
- Develop communication plans to keep staff, volunteers, parents, and general church informed (including social media posts, emails, fliers, bulletin announcements, etc.)
- Work with Pastor of Students and Families to coordinate seamless transition from Children’s Ministry to Youth Ministry
- Attend staff meetings, Church Council and CLC meetings, and other meetings as necessary
- Supervise the SUMS (Preschool) Director and serve on the SUMS School advisory committee
- Participate in SUMS Chapel and other school events throughout the year
- Serve as liaison with SUMS in coordinating shared ministry between church and school.
- Other duties as needed and assigned
The Director of Children’s Ministry must recognize and respect that some information received in working with children and families will be personal and sensitive so care must be observed to maintain confidentiality and trust unless there is the possibility of harm to a minor and there is need for formal reporting.
The Director of Children’s Ministry will report to the Pastor of Family and Student Ministries.
This is a full time, salaried position, with a schedule that generally falls Sunday through Thursday, however there will also be some evening responsibilities along with some Friday and Saturday responsibilities. Personal time off and other benefits are provided as described in the Employee Handbook of Suntree UMC.
Please submit all resumes to: email@example.com
Contact: Mike Mayes
Location: Suntree United Methodist Church
Address: 7400 N. Wickham Road Melbourne FL 32940
Email: Click to email