Worship Leader Job Description
Position: Worship Leader
Purpose: Good Samaritan UMC looks forward to welcoming a long-term worship leader into our church family. We are the only reconciling congregation in the Tallahassee area and any who join our team should be open and affirming of all persons, but especially those within the LGBTQIA+ community. The Worship Leader is primarily responsible for helping us to grow a thriving worship experience for our congregation, so that the congregation might enter a space that is prepared for them to worship the risen Christ. We are strongly committed to worship at Good Sam and pray that it aids in each member finding their next step on the journey. We have a team-based leadership model.
Status: Non-Exempt Hourly – 15-20 hours per week unless pre-approved by supervisor
Supervisor: Senior Pastor
Areas of responsibility:
- Work alongside the Senior Pastor to create well-planned and engaging Sunday worship.
- Lead rehearsals each week.
- Lead through a team-based ministry approach, involving as many talented, gifted persons as possible in all areas of the worship ministry, including vocalists, instrumentalists, and tech team members.
- Discuss with Senior Pastor the worship ministry needs in accordance with the financial policies of the church to acquire items needed and/or replace/upgrade current equipment.
- Consult with the Senior Pastor to develop, implement and evaluate ministry goals related to the worship program.
- Attend weekly staff meetings.
- Assist in planning, implementing and leading worship for special events outside of Sunday worship services with the band and tech team at each, including, but not limited to Christmas, Good Friday, Easter, and other large worship events. Consult with the Senior Pastor in advance if additional time is needed.
- Ensure accurate records are kept for copyright licensing video/music, etc., in consultation with the Business Administrator.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Experience leading church-based worship.
- Some experience in recruiting and leading volunteers or willingness to learn
- Be creative, innovative and a team player.
- Value diverse music styles and provide leadership appropriately.
- Demonstrate skill vocally and instrumentally (guitar or/and keyboard, etc.)
- Demonstrate leadership and teaching ability and express strong relational skills
- Have knowledge and/or willingness to learn media, video, drama and other elements of worship design.
- Commitment to be a part of an open and affirming, reconciling congregation.
- Possess a strong commitment to your faith.
- A healthy sense of humor and willingness to join the GSUMC community in their commitment to worship together, learn together, serve together, and play together.
- Ability and commitment to training volunteers and building teams.
- A strong work ethic and commitment to excellence in all that they do.
- An ability to set goals and work towards growth in their personal performance and in areas of oversight.
The job description is subject to review and change, especially as the program grows.
This position is considered probationary for 90 days after which the position will be re-evaluated by the SPRC.
** If time off is needed you will be required to consult with the Senior Pastor a minimum of 3 weeks in advance for discussion and approval. It is the responsibility of the worship leader to arrange for suitable replacement to lead worship and rehearsals while the worship leader is away.
*** Although a continuing education stipend is not allotted, please share any hopes to attend trainings with our Sr. Pastor.
Contact: Melissa Edelstein
Location: Good Samaritan UMC
Address: 3720 Capital Circle SE Tallahassee 32311
Email: Click to email