Special Need Child Care Center Teacher Assistant
DLC Nurse & Learn is an inclusion child care center for children of all abilities with classrooms for infants – 5 year olds, including VPK for 4 year olds. We also have after school programs and summer camp for children up to 22 years of age. DLC is in search of a Teacher Assistant to provide childcare in a variety of programs, plans activities, implements the scheduled daily program, and assists the teachers in a variety of ways.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Helps to ensure the safety and welfare of the children and protects each from physical or emotional harm. This includes performing all tasks with an appropriate level of confidentiality.
- Provides an environment where everyone can have a positive experience throughout the day.
- Treats all children, families, and staff members with dignity and respect, and allow for individual differences.
- Prepares and follows a curriculum based on developmentally appropriate practices that helps each child reach his/her fullest potential in all areas of development.
- Supervises and interacts with children at all times; mealtimes, rest periods, diapering/restroom times, playtimes, and activity times.
- Provides care for infants, young children and school-aged children, including changing diapers, feeding, and comforting.
- Maintains observation records and other required classroom logs correctly.
- Be able to kneel, bend, squat, lift, push, pull, and carry children up to 70lbs.
- Knows all health and emergency policies of the program and is ready to implement them if necessary.
- Helps with general housekeeping tasks.
- Shows initiative in the improvement of early childhood education, the program, and the curriculum by sharing ideas and participating in available trainings.
- Flexibility to work with all ages in any classroom as needed with direction from the Program Director.
- Maintain a professional attitude at all times.
- Maintain appropriate communication with staff, children, and families at all times.
- Maintain an open, warm and very professional relationship with all families.
- Report all suspected abuse to supervisor.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Be available for full time employment and available to work Monday through Friday, 7am-4pm, 8am-5pm or 9am-6pm.
- Successful Completion of DCF background screening.
- Must have some knowledge of early childhood education – course work or prior experience.
- Must be willing to work weekends and evenings, as needed.
- Uphold HIPPA regulations.
- Must be able to lift at least 40 pounds, climb stairs and navigate through the building and classrooms; as well as travel between facilities to care of children at all locations.
Education and experience:
- Preferred 45-hour DCF training already completed.
- CPR Certification required within 3 months of date of hire.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required:
- Ability to understand and follow specific instructions and procedures.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Knowledge of child cognitive, social, and skills development methods and techniques.
- Knowledge of play, reading, and quiet-time activities for children.
- Child supervision skills.
- Ability to provide basic nutrition and hygiene services for infants and young children.
- Knowledge of child care facility, services and/or staff licensure and certification requirements.
- Ability to provide a supportive and caring environment for children.
Please keep in mind that the above job description is meant to be a guideline and does not list in detail all of the job responsibilities of an Assistant Teacher. Additional of the Assistant Teacher position will be covered in orientation and during the “hands-on” portion of the position training.
Contact: Heather Corey
Location: DLC Nurse & Learn
Address: 4101-1 College Street Jacksonville FL 32205