NAME OF POSITION: Organist
REPORTS TO: Director of Music and Traditional Worship
POSITIONS SUPERVISED: None
CLASSIFICATION: Part Time Non-Exempt
WORK SCHEDULE: Sunday 7:00 AM – 12:00 PM. Additional hours for worship rehearsal are expected, and additional hours may be added for special events not to exceed a total of 20 hours per week.
COMPENSATION SCHEDULE: Biweekly
Cypress Lake United Methodist Church is a large worshipping community in the Southwest District of the Florida Conference of the United Methodist Church, with 1,000 in worship. The Church is blessed with a talented lay leadership team and an exciting staff, including an Organist. The Organist reports to the Director of Music and Traditional Worship and is primarily responsible for the provision of organ music for use in traditional worship services.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Select and provide organ music at all traditional Sunday worship services, mid-week worship services (when applicable), and all special celebrations of worship where the organ is the primary instrument used, such as Ash Wednesday, Holy Week, Christmas Eve, etc.
- Work as a Collaborative Artist with the Director of Music and Traditional Worship and all guest artists.
- In conjunction with the Director of Music and Traditional Worship, select hymns which are reflective of the liturgical season and designated Scripture texts.
- Provide organ music for all weddings and funerals held at the church when the organ is the primary instrument used. Fees for these services are not provided by the church, but are honorariums from couples and families at an amount determined by church policy.
- Assist in providing qualified substitutes for absences as needed.
- Work as a team member on the submission of information for the weekly worship bulletin.
- Provide regular reports specifying maintenance needs to the Director of Music and Traditional Worship.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR POSITION:Educational, Background & Experience Requirements:
- Professing Christian;
- Bachelor’s degree in music preferred, or five years’ experience as a traditional church organist.
- Ability to work with diverse personalities.
- Must be punctual.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
- Salary: $19,000
- Benefits: See Employee Handbook
Contact: Cyndy Cook
Location: Cypress Lake UMC
Address: 8570 Cypress Lake Dr. Fort Myers FL 33919