Director of Asbury Early Learning Center (part-time)
We are looking for an experienced director for our Christian preschool in Maitland, FL to work 25-30 hours a week. The school hours are Monday-Friday from 9:00am-1:00pm (early and after care also offered). Must have an active DCF staff and director credential (with VPK endorsement) and familiarity with processes for DCF, 4C, DOE, and The Early Learning Coalition. The ideal candidate will have excellent written and verbal communication skills, organizational and administrative skills, and be comfortable with Microsoft Office. Along with having a strong relationship with Christ, the candidate must be passionate about building relationships with families, children and staff, and have a great sense of humor. The candidate will usually oversee classroom activities and curriculum but must be willing to be hands on and cover classrooms when needed. Must be comfortable planning and executing special events throughout the year for preschool children and families.
We are a ministry of Asbury United Methodist Church and, as such, the director will participate in church staff meetings and work to engage and invite our preschool families into church activities.
Job Type – Part-time
Interested applicants should email a copy of their resume and cover letter to Pastor Chris Jones (email@example.com). More info about the position can be found below.
Asbury United Methodist Church
Job Title: Director, Asbury Early Learning Center
Reports to: Senior Pastor and Preschool Board
Summary: This ministry will enable the people of Asbury United Methodist Church and the surrounding community to grow in their Christian faith by offering and supporting preschool education for children that is fully integrated with Christian values.
Vision Statement for the Ministry: The vision is to provide a Christ-centered environment for preschool children that is consistent with educational pedagogy and practices; supportive of the school’s philosophy and objectives; and relevant to the growth of the whole child.
Mission Statement for the Ministry: The mission is to ensure that a Christ-centered environment for learning is created and maintained in all classrooms; to provide curriculum that is purposeful, challenging, and age appropriate; to consider, with fairness and objectivity, the perspective of the child, the parent, the staff, and the church community at all times; and to cultivate the mental, physical, and spiritual potential of each child to the best prepare them for school.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Administer the total school program.
- Supervise staff by overseeing daily functions and visiting classrooms on a regular basis
- Asbury Early Learning Center (AELC) is committed to a hands-on approach to administration and the high visibility of the Director on the preschool campus.
- Meet all disciplinary guidelines.
- Ensure individual progress reports are completed in a timely manner.
- Oversee planning and implementation of all preschool special events.
- Administer the school finances and prepare fiscal reports as required.
- Assist in the preparation of the preschool’s annual budget for each fiscal year (January 1st-December 31st) and manage expenses with the VPK regulations, VPK reports are prepared and submitted in a timely manner, VPK regional and district meetings are attended either by the Director or a designee.
- Oversee the curriculum for all classes.
- In conjunction with the pastoral staff, schedule and conduct weekly Chapel for all classes.
- Ensure that all teaching staff certifications are adequate and continuous.
- On a yearly basis, maintain accreditation to appropriate Early Childhood Organizations and Associations.
- Provide ongoing staff training that may include spiritual, academic and relational issues.
- Responsible for hiring and termination procedures in conjunction with Staff Parish Relations Committee.
- Maintain a trained substitute staff.
- Evaluate staff once each school term.
- Maintain personnel records.
- Plan, conduct, and record emergency drills.
- Consult with appropriate church staff on a regular basis to ensure that consistency in record keeping and reporting is maintained, maintenance issues are corrected, and staff, student and/or parent issues are addressed in a timely manner.
- Constantly review procedures to ensure a safe environment is provided for staff and students.
- Promote unity among the staff members by offering encouragement, support, prayer, and assistance as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Spiritual Maturity – A professional commitment to Jesus Christ that is demonstrated through Christian growth, is modeled through spiritual leadership and lifestyle, and is affirmed through membership in a local church.
Professional and Educational Requirements – A degree in Early Childhood Education or its
Equivalent; Child Development Associate (CDA) or a CDA waiver; Director Credential with VPK Endorsement (4C Early Childhood Program 10 hour and 30 hour Certificates within 10 months of first day of work ; CPR Certificate, First Aid Certificate; Must complete a minimum of 10 clock hours of in-service training annually during the state’s fiscal year (July 1 to June 30) of which 5 hours must be on the topic of Literacy; Must complete in-service training renewal.
Skills and Abilities – Strong verbal and written communication skills, ability to conference with parents in a non-judgmental, professional manner; ability to multitask and deal comfortably with teacher issues and classroom situations; ability to encourage personal and spiritual growth among the staff; strong management and organizational skills; ability to implement the policies as set forth in the operating policies and other approved policies of Asbury UMC as they pertain to the preschool; and openness to a multi-cultural student body and staff.
Experiences – Minimum of three to five years of experience in an early childhood education environment or relevant educational background.
Consent to Criminal Background Search:
Because this position involves interaction with all types of members of the church as well as community members, the church requires prospective employees to voluntarily submit to a criminal background check. By signing the necessary agreement, prospective employees specifically consent to the background check and waive any claim against the church for performing said background checks.
Evaluation and Compensation:
This position reports to the Senior Pastor and Preschool Board and will receive an annual performance review by the supervisor. Compensation is reviewed annually by the Senior Pastor and the Staff Parish Relations Committee.
Contact: Pastor Chris Jones
Location: Asbury United Methodist Church
Address: 220 West Horatio Avenue 308 Maitland 32751