First United Methodist Church of Orlando seeks to hire an innovative, adaptable, and faithful leader to serve as our part-time Choir Director. The Choir Director will collaborate with the Director of Worship, choir members, pastors, staff, and church members to offer musically excellent, Spirit-filled, God-honoring music in worship. The Choir Director will cultivate a safe, healthy environment for people to seek and love God and to love and serve people through their involvement with the music ministry. The Director will see our prime location in downtown Orlando, FL as an opportunity for growth and greater connection with the community at large.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and 3 references to email@example.com by July 2, 2021.
Position Title: Choir Director
Ministry Area: Worship
Reports To: Director of Worship
Status: Part-Time; Salary; 15 hours/week
Work with the Director of Worship to provide musical direction for the Chancel Choir. Direct the Chancel Choir to seek and love God, love and serve people through worship. Average of 15 hours/week, but flexible depending on the season of the year. Hours could be increased with additional programming needs.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with special needs to perform the essential functions.
- Work with Director of Worship to plan and implement Spirit-filled, God-honoring worship for people of all ages and abilities.
- Conduct the Chancel Choir.
- Rebuild the Chancel Choir.
- Create and conduct new vocal groups.
- Expected to be physically present for work 50 Sundays and 50 Wednesdays a year.
- Actively seek new ways to reach out to the community through music.
- Adhere to the Children and Youth Policies and Procedures.
- Work with the Director of Worship, organist/accompanist, and bell choir director to offer musically excellent, Spirit-filled, God-honoring music in worship.
- Help participants in the music ministry develop their vocal gifts.
- Attend and participate in staff and worship meetings, as needed.
- Create an environment conducive to positive interaction with staff members, music ministry members, lay leadership, church members, and the community.
- Communicate clearly and often with the Director of Worship.
- Ask for help when needed.
- Promote, communicate, and embody the vision, mission, and core values of First Church.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree from four-year College or University and years of experience participating with church choirs.
- Master’s degree in Choral Conducting or other related degree is desirable.
- Vocal talent and vocal conducting skills are required.
- Familiarity with a breadth of worship styles and willing to engage the beauty of our Christian liturgical tradition.
- Embodies and lives the Christian faith. Deeply committed to personal spiritual growth.
- Passionately desires to share and develop the Christian faith with people.
- Working knowledge of internet tools including social media, spreadsheets, and word processing software (Microsoft Office suite).
- Strong commitment to Christian faith and theology of The United Methodist Church. Familiarity with the United Methodist Church structure and Wesleyan theology.
- Must be adaptable, innovative, cooperative, and communicative.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from other staff, lay leadership, church members, and the community.
- Ability to solve practical problems and effectively cope with the challenges that may arise from working with a variety of people in a church setting.
- Must be able to multitask, organize, and delegate.
- Must be able to work independently and with a team.
- Must pass a background, fingerprint, and reference check.
- Ability to occasionally lift 25 lbs or more.
Contact: Emily Sterling-Strongman
Location: First United Methodist Church of Orlando
Address: 142 E. Jackson Street Orlando FL 32801