Director of Special Needs & Fellowship Connection
St. James is looking for an innovative leader with a heart for those with special needs to foster relationships and connection among the whole fellowship of St. James. The Director will also ensure everyone, from first-time guests to life-long members, are integrated into the fabric of the church and afforded the same opportunities to participate and contribute. The Director must be willing to collaborate and work strategically with staff, ministry leaders, volunteers and the congregation at large in order to develop fun, creative church-wide experiences & activities, provide for congregational care needs, and coordinate ministry for small groups.
Reports to: Executive Director
Status: Full time, salaried
The Director of Special Needs & Fellowship Connections will provide dynamic innovation, development, leadership, and oversight to all aspects of our special needs ministries along with the ministries of connecting in fellowship together. The Director will effectively interact with individuals who are impacted by disability, of any age, as well as their families and caregivers, to offer the help and hope of Christ. The Director will take that same care & compassion to foster relationships and connection among the whole fellowship of St. James, from first-time guests to life-long members. The Director will work closely and strategically with other staff, ministry leaders, and the congregation to ensure that all individuals, especially those with disabilities, are integrated into the fabric of life of the church and afforded the same opportunities to participate and contribute.
Required Functions – Special Needs Ministry
- Cultivate an environment that serves and attracts individuals with disabilities, of any age, to participate fully in the body of Christ.
- Develop ministries to those with special needs and families that foster growth in five key areas: fellowship, worship, discipleship, evangelism and service to help them grow spiritually, emotionally and practically.
- Develop innovative, creative and visionary annual ministry plans, including meaningful outreach & serviced events, with achievable and measurable strategies and goals for growth.
- Provide vision, leadership, and support for direct reports and key volunteers.
- Attract, connect, train, and sustain qualified adult and youth volunteers to assist with implementation of ministry vision and plans.
- Devote your personal and professional life to being an example of what it means to follow Jesus Christ and walk in His grace.
- Develop vital and innovative ministry to foster faithful fellowship among all who connect with St. James, from first-time guests to lifelong members, by investing in and surrounding each other with the love of Christ.
- Develop and oversee the welcoming and hospitality ministries for worship services and other events; including guest follow-up ministry & systems.
- Develop & oversee ministries to serve & integrate guests, online & on-campus, into becoming fully engaged members, including the new member experiences.
- Administrate and oversee maintenance of Church Management system. Seek innovative means to foster fellowship and connection through technology, etc.
- Develop fun, creative and innovative church-wide experiences & activities.
- Collaborate with pastors and ministry team for congregational care needs & requests. Provide leadership to the Stephen Ministry team.
- Develop and oversee affinity-group ministries (UMW, Men’s group, MASST, etc.) for fun, fellowship, spiritual development and service. Collaborate with Discipleship ministry for small-group coordination.
- Collaborate with other staff & leaders for best communication practices.
- Establish networks and partnerships with other churches, local schools, universities and social service organizations in our community to facilitate ministry, particularly for those with special needs.
- Establish partnerships with local para-church organizations, such as YoungLife Capernaum, to offer a channel for special needs students to become involved in the local church.
- Partner with other ministries within St James UMC to form a cohesive ministry unit to potentiate ministry to all participants
- Properly create an annual budget and effectively manage expenses to accomplish goals.
- Be proactive in researching and applying for novel grant and funding opportunities available to disability ministry
- Continually explore opportunities on how to grow the ministry and capture hearts to pursue a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Engage as a contributing member at St. James UMC while adhering to the St. James UMC Staff Policies, Statement of Ethics and the St. James UMC vision, values and mission
- Strong commitment to the Christian faith with a vital relationship in Jesus Christ. Basic understanding United Methodist Church and its theology, mission, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university required, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Reasonable understanding and literacy of the multi-layered needs within the disability community and how to practically translate that into effective ministry for individuals and their families.
- A demonstrated love for people, a desire for reaching people for Jesus Christ, and passion to bring fellowship and connection to the church family, and especially those with special needs.
- Able to participate in ministry programs that may require physical intervention due to behavioral concerns/safety of participants.
- Able to lift 50lbs.
- Able to meet people in public settings for potentially lengthy periods of time.
- Strong interpersonal skills, particularly for those in the special needs community.
- Able Connector and Relational Communicator
- Team player
- Able to motivate others
- Servant Leadership with management skills
- Self-starter; intrinsically motivated and passionate
- Ability to recruit and empower people for ministry
- Ability to multi-task
- Integrity; track-record of trustworthiness
- Humble, Approachable, Relational and Influential
- Proficient in computer systems, including Office suite & social platforms.
Contact: Mikey Langford
Address: 16202 Bruce B Downs Blvd Tampa FL 33647
Phone: (813) 971-4790