Director of Worship & Arts
Director of Worship and Arts
Reports to: Senior Pastor
Effective: September 11, 2020
Directly Supervises: Traditional Worship Leader, Technical Arts Coordinator
Status: Full time
The Director of Worship and Arts will help further the mission of St. James UMC “to connect imperfect people with a perfect God”, in line with the larger UMC mission, “to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.” The Director will serve as an integral, creative overarching worship leader in helping others “Connect with God.” The Director will work closely with the Lead Pastor and staff ministry leads of St. James UMC to define and implement worship ministry objectives.
The Director of Worship and Arts will have vocal training and the Spirit-given ability to coordinate the communication of God’s truth through the visual, written, and performing arts. The Director of Worship and Arts will provide leadership and oversight for traditional worship and be primarily responsible for contemporary worship at St. James UMC.
Additionally, the Director of Worship and Arts will use variety and creativity to captivate others and cause them to consider Christ’s message, challenge people’s perspective of God through the various arts, and demonstrate fresh ways to express the Lord’s ministry and message. Examples of worship experience elements include: choirs, worship team, instrumentalists, liturgical dance, banner design, hand bells, drama vignettes, set design, intergenerational elements, etc.
- Day to Day Responsibilities- People
- Lead and manage worship and arts staff members by cultivating relationships and creating a God-honoring environment that attracts volunteers to serve.
- Participate in the weekly creative team, worship and arts staff meetings and staff chapel.
- Lead in the development of creative elements for worship in consult with Lead Pastor.
- Identify and mentor key volunteer leaders in worship and arts ministries.
- Recruit, develop, and equip volunteers that support the worship arts ministry & worship services. Maintain volunteers through relationship building, equipping & appreciation.
- Consult with Technical Arts Coordinator on sound, project and lighting for services.
- Oversee planning and execution of traditional worship service by coordinating with Traditional Worship Leader and Organist.
- Schedule and direct contemporary worship music rehearsals.
- Serve as a vocalist and ministry leader for the contemporary worship team.
- Lead contemporary worship services and direct the worship band.
- Day to Day Responsibilities- Tasks
- Provide spiritual growth through Passionate Worship by overseeing all planning and execution of worship services at St. James UMC including Sunday mornings and special worship events (e.g. Holy Week, Easter, Christmas Eve, Nights of Worship, etc).
- Prepare all music, guide rehearsals and lead the worship team & congregational singing for contemporary worship services.
- Acquire all licensure and copyright requirements.
- Acquire or produce click tracks and loops as necessary for use in contemporary worship.
- Other Responsibilities
- Devote personal and professional life to being an example of what it means to follow Jesus Christ.
- Works alongside other ministry department leaders to establish worship and arts ministry goals and budgets that are aligned with the church’s vision.
- Instill a spirit of connection to God throughout all aspects of ministry at St. James UMC.
- Accompany worship services and rehearsals on instrument(s) as necessary.
- Ensure all ministries, systems, and operations comply with biblical principles, best practices, church policies, ministry priorities, and civil laws.
- Communicate clearly to individuals, small groups, and large groups
- Other duties assigned by the Senior Pastor.
- Strong commitment to the Christian faith with a demonstrated ability to support the mission and ministries of SJUMC.
- Passion for sharing the love of Jesus Christ through worship and arts and desire to put this into action.
- Training and experience in Worship Arts, as well as vocal and/or instrumental leadership of contemporary/modern styles of worship.
- Experience in successfully leading and managing people and teams, including planning, team-building, developing and maintaining budgets, creating and managing operating plans
- Leadership and management skills appropriate for a director level position
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university required, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Previous music and ministry leadership experience
- Proficient in Mac OS, basic computer skills, common MS Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, etc.)
Ability to lift up to 40lbs
- Musical Skills incl. ability to conduct choir, vocal and instrumental rehearsals
- Servant Leader
- Team builder
- Creative vision
Contact: Mikey Langford
Address: 16202 Bruce B Downs Blvd Tampa FL 33647