Director of Children's Ministry
July 08, 2020
Cypress Lake United Methodist Church is one of the largest worshipping communities in the Florida Conference of the United Methodist Church, with 1,000 in worship. The Church is blessed with a talented lay leadership team and an exciting staff.The Director of Children’s Ministry reports to the Pastor of Youth Ministry and is responsible for overseeing the vision and implementation of the children’s ministry and discipleship at the church. The Director will work with the discipleship-focused pastoral team, staff, and laity to achieve the mission and vision of the church. Specific responsibilities include overall development, planning, and implementation of an engaging ministry for children from birth through fifth grade, including the selection of curriculum, activity planning, and implementation of special events. The Director must be skilled at recruiting, training, empowering, and supervising a large laity servant leadership team to accomplish these responsibilities. The Director also must be committed to forming lasing, impactful relationships with parents and caregivers, also guiding them in their journeys as parents and disciples.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Evaluate and select curriculum for Sunday worship discipleship opportunities, plan for weekly lessons to include hands-on learning experiences, and procure any needed supplies.
- Recruit, train, empower, supervise, and provide resources for laity servant leaders for Sundays, programming, and special events (including Vacation Bible School).
- Serve as director of Vacation Bible School.
- Supervise the Nursery Worker(s).
- Maintain files and digital records of attendance for children and families.
- Ensure compliance with the Child Protection Policy, including verification volunteers working with children have a current acceptable background check on file and have completed annual training.
- Prepare children’s Baptism certificates and gifts and follow up with parents to encourage continued involvement.
- Plan and conduct the Third Grade Bible ceremony.
- Coordinate with staff and laity to plan church-wide events, including but not limited to, Trunk or Treat, Back to School Bash, Easter Eggstravaganza, etc.
- Develop an effective church-parent communication system.
- Work with the Pastor of Youth Ministry in creating and sustaining a clear discipleship pipeline from Children to Youth Ministry.
- Prepare the annual budget request for Children’s Ministry activities.
- Serve as staff liaison to the Bright Beginnings Advisory Committee.
- Work with the Director of Bright Beginnings Early School to promote spiritual formation and discipleship opportunities, including but not limited to chapel, story time, etc.
- Create relationships with families of Bright Beginnings Early School.
- In conjunction with the Director of Bright Beginnings Early School, develop publications, create marketing materials, and publicize events as needed.
- Attend weekly staff and ministry team meetings.
- Work alongside other staff to ensure overall mission and vision of the church is being fulfilled, including working with other ministry team members to provide opportunities for spiritual formation and discipleship for parents and caregivers, and serving as a team player when needed with worship, mission opportunities, etc.
- Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR POSITION:Educational, Background & Experience Requirements:
- Professing Christian;
- Bachelor’s degree in Children’s Ministry, Education, or related field preferred but not required;
- Experience in providing Christian-based education for children, with experience in a United Methodist Church preferred but not required;
- One year experience supervising employees preferred.
- Ability to communicate effectively with parents and staff.
- Ability to resolve conflict.
- Ability to build and empower effective teams.
- Ability to work with diverse personalities.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, with experience in church management or children’s check-in software preferred.
- Salary: $42,000-$45,000
- Benefits: Health insurance (with 80/20 employer match for employee after 90-day probationary period), group life policy, and employer-matched retirement available after 12-month probationary period. Dental, Vision, and supplemental insurance opportunities available.
Contact: Cyndy Cook
Address: 8570 CYPRESS LAKE DR FORT MYERS FL 33919