Director of Children & Family Ministries - St. James UMC, Tampa Palms
St. James UMC is looking for a spirit-filled, innovative and creative servant-leader to be our next Director of Children’s and Family ministries. Inspired by a new vision and ministry plan to connect every life with the love of God, St. James weaves our core values into every aspect of ministry, especially to our children and families. We are ideally located in the midst of very diverse communities, with a high percentage of young families. This position will provide direct leadership to our children’s ministry and its strong group of volunteer leaders. The Director will also provide oversight to all our ministries to the families of our church, from birth through highschool graduation. A ministry team that relies upon spiritual growth, mutual collaboration, generative innovation, and graceful excellence provides support for sustainability and opportunities for exciting growth. If serving in this role within our St. James family seems an ideal fit for you, please email your resume & cover-letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Director of Family & Children’s Ministries at St. James United Methodist ChurchReports to: Senior Pastor
Directly Supervises: Youth Director, Preschool Director, Family Ministries Administrative Assistant, Nursery & Childcare Staff
Status: Full Time
The Director of Family & Children’s Ministries is responsible for the vision, strategic development and, implementation of church ministries relating to families and children (ages birth through high school). The position will serve two principal functions. The Director will be primarily responsible to provide direct leadership over the Children’s Ministry area (6 weeks through Fifth Grade) including: Nursery, Sunday School, VBS, etc. The Director of Family & Children’s Ministries will also provide leadership, partnership and support to the Preschool and Youth ministries, in order to foster alignment, cohesion and collaboration in ministry to the family unit along their children’s journey to adulthood. They will develop an integrated network of family ministries, programs and services intended to support, train and equip parents as the primary spiritual leaders of children. The Family & Children’s Ministries Director will effectively interact with children and parents, staff members of St. James UMC, and leaders in our communities that affect our children, to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.
GENERAL REQUIREMENTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES FOR THIS POSITION:
Main position responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Demonstrate a spiritually mature and vital Christian faith.
- Passion, knowledge and skills to work in family & children’s ministry as a way to serve God and advance His kingdom
- High-energy, entrepreneurial, innovative and charismatic with effective leadership, organizational & communication skills
- Motivated Self-starter, Creative, with a high degree of discipline and strategic focus
- Ability to make changes, corrections and solve problems quickly under pressure
- Discern vision and formulate strategies for Family ministry areas, directly with a team or in support of ministry area Directors, in alignment with St. James mission and other Church ministries and leaders.
- Foster growth of children & parents in five key areas: Radical Hospitality, Passionate Worship, Intentional Discipleship, Salty Service, and Extravagant Generosity
- Provide effective leadership, training and support for paid-staff and volunteers, ensuring highest levels of performance and effective engagement in personnel-related matters.
- Attend weekly staff meetings, and participate in campus programs and events as required.
- Serve on Preschool Board (non-voting) and Youth Leadership Teams.
- Serve as a member of the Operations Team and Discipleship Team, representing the children & families, bringing their needs and concerns to the team.
- Ensure appropriate training, background check, and safety procedures are followed and maintained, ensuring adults participating in the ministry are properly vetted prior to involving in the ministry
- Coordinate and develop the Volunteer Application Process, New Volunteer Orientation, and Child Protection Policy Training.
- Abide by all personnel policies of St. James UMC
- Process background checks and references for volunteers serving in the Family ministries.
- Develop and implement strategic ministry programs and initiatives in accordance with the church vision that engage children and students, support and partner with parents, and inspire congregational inclusion in the developmental and spiritual milestones from birth through high school.
- Foster outreach and growth of the Children’s and Family ministries through strategic planning, events, and marketing & communications to the community.
- Build, lead, and empower a team of paid staff and volunteers by providing vision, leadership, resources, communication and support, including management of paid childcare staffing.
- Research & coordinate effective and engaging curriculum for Sunday School, special training experiences and programs for Children and their parents.
- Coordinate, supervise, recruit, and direct projects, activities and programs, directly to children & parents, or as part of larger Church events (e.g. VBS, Trunk or Treat, Easter Egg Hunt).
- Foster connection and fellowship among children and families.
- Show support of the community’s youth & children in activities off-campus (sports, dance, etc.).
- Coordinate and provide childcare to support adult ministry opportunities at St. James UMC.
- Prepare and manage budget for children’s ministry and monitor and provide oversight for youth budget.
- Manage the distribution and allocation of curriculum and supplies for staff and volunteers.
- Mentor and develop other potential leaders to serve as ministry heads for various aspects of family & children’s ministry.
- Partner with other ministries within St. James UMC to form a cohesive ministry team.
- Continually explore learning & development opportunities for continued growth of Family ministry areas.
- Participate in and complete continued educational courses/studies; stay fresh and relevant in ministry.
- Bachelor’s Degree from accredited four-year college or university, or equivalent education experience.
- Minimum 3-year’s experience in a Children’s/Family Ministry-related leadership position within a faith-based organization, preferably with a Wesleyan-Methodist theological understanding.
- Dynamic leadership skills with the ability to build a collaborative, empowered team for education, activity worship and service environments.
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to resolve conflict in an efficient, professional and Christ-like manner.
- Clearance of criminal background check
- Willingness to adhere to the St. James UMC Staff Policies and Statement of Ethics, to be loyal to the Lead Pastor, staff and church leadership, and be faithful to the St. James UMC mission, vision, and values.
- Ability to pray, teach, and interact well with others.
- Ability to comfortably speak in front of large groups and deliver engaging audience-appropriate messages.
- Ability to participate in children’s activities as required for relationship building.
- Able to lift small children, (40 lbs. or less).
- Ability to communicate well with children, youth and parents.
- Vital and mature faith, with understanding of Wesleyan/Methodist theological distinctions.
- Commitment to spiritual & emotional development and health of children and parents.
- Vision casting and leadership ability, with strong management skills.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Innovative & Creative Self-Starter.
- Integrity, dependability and trustworthiness.
- Relationship building.
Contact: Mikey Langford
Address: 16202 Bruce B. Downs Blvd Tampa FL 33647