Congregational Care Pastor
The Congregational Care Pastor assists the Senior Pastor by developing and implementing an effective ministry of visitation and congregational care focused on those who are sick, hospitalized, homebound, in nursing care and/or facing trauma issues.
The Congregational Care Pastor reports to, regularly consults with and is directly accountable to the Senior Pastor. This person is also accountable to the Staff Parish Relations Committee (SPRC) regarding personnel matters. Occasional attendance at SPRC and/or Church Council meetings may be requested.
Part-time: 15-20 hours/week generally Tuesday through Friday. Some flexibility is needed to address weekend emergencies.
Vacation: Two weeks of (uncompensated) vacation are allowed in this position; also, some other occasional absences may be arranged in what will be a flexible work relationship.
- Make personal and phone visits with parishioners in hospitals, nursing homes, other institutions, funeral homes and personal homes. The nature of the visits will relate to the full spectrum of pastoral care from friendly connection visits to crisis including bereavement and death.
- Provide to Senior Pastor a brief written update of all visits and contacts within 48 hours of contact and a monthly compilation of visitation to include names and dates of those visited or called.
- Contact the church office with updates (additions and deletions) to the church prayer list.
- Provide the sacrament of Holy Communion to shut-ins (as they desire or are able.)
- Plan and perform funerals and memorial services.
- Attend all Sunday and Wednesday worship services at least twice a month and congregational activities in ways that build relationships with the members of this faith community.
- Assist during worship services as requested. Preach in Sunday services at least one Sunday a quarter.
- Submit a monthly mileage report to the Senior Pastor for reimbursement.
- Should the Congregational Care Pastor choose to do any weddings, pastoral counseling or spiritual direction, it would be on a voluntary basis and not part of the 15-20 hour/week commitment.
Education and Experience
- Sincere faith and Christ-Centered life.
- Ability to relate well with people; possess a natural care for persons, have excellent listening skills and compassion and sensitivity particularly with individuals experiencing duress.
- Ability to discern needs and respond appropriately, sensitively and proactively.
- Ability to confront and set limits.
- Ability to adjust quickly from high productivity and organization to personalized attention and patience.
- Able to keep confidentiality with sensitive information.
- Responsible, self-motivated and organized.
- Schedule flexibility desirable.
- Ordained clergy in good-standing. Pastoral ministry experience (10+ years minimum.)
- Master of Divinity or equivalent.
- Valid driver’s license with an “acceptable” driving record and proof of insurance on personal vehicle.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Good computer and social media skills.
- Must pass a background check.
- Salary range $13,000 – $17,000
- Expense Allowance Range $ 2,500 – $ 3,000
Contact: Diana Norred
467 1st Ave North St. Petersburg FL 33701