Director of Discipleship
DIRECTOR OF DISCIPLESHIP
First United Methodist Church in Naples, Florida, is seeking a full-time Director of Discipleship, who will work with the Senior Pastor and Church Leadership teams to make disciples for Christ. Specifically, the Director will be responsible for the development, coordination and execution of all adult discipleship/education programs within the church and driving adult membership growth in line with a Wesleyan approach and the church’s mission: FUMC Naples is “Presenting Jesus in positive and loving ways, helping people grow spiritually as disciples, and making the world a better place by relieving suffering.”
The Director of Discipleship will:
- Initiate, organize, market and manage FUMC outreach activities to attract a diversity of new adult members and families.
- Develop processes for and lead a visitor integration/assimilation program to connect newcomers to the church community.
- Develop and lead our small groups ministry and a process for adults to connect with one another, grow spiritually and build a strong community in Christ.
- Equip members and regular attendees to discover their gifts, calling and interests and organize/identify opportunities for them to serve in ministry.
- Coordinate volunteers.
- Coordinate special events on campus, by outside groups, maximizing opportunity to introduce new people to the church.
- Work with Pastor to help the congregation grow in their love for God and others
- Back up the Pastor as required.
Note: Dependent on the gifts, experience, desires and skill set of the candidate, other possible areas of ministry where this individual might serve include: working with our youth or with children; assisting with planning/leading worship; preaching; and ongoing pastoral care.
- Christ-centered, growing faith that is biblically rooted and nurtured through spiritual disciplines of prayer, Bible study, worship and service
- B.A. or B.S. in a relevant field. Seminary education is a plus!
- Familiarity with and practicing of Wesleyan approach
- Knowledge of program development and implementation
- Strong computer skills
- Team player with proven record of working effectively with volunteers
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Able to apply innovative, problem-solving approaches and think outside the box
- Able to work with minimal supervision, but able to take direction when provided
- Experience working with volunteer programs and organizational growth settings in a church or non-profit
- Proactive, energetic, outgoing and self-motivated. Must be a “people-person”
- Expertise in marketing and communications, especially social media marketing skills
- Passion for drawing uncommitted persons into a living relationship with Jesus Christ
- Able and willing to work flexible hours that include evenings, weekend activities and worship on Sundays
- UM licensing, commissioning or ordination is a plus!
First United Methodist Church (FUMC) is located in Naples, Florida, two blocks from the Gulf. Both our church and preschool were the first to be established in Naples and we are a friendly, loving community.
A more detailed job description will be available to serious candidates.
TO APPLY: Please provide resume and cover letter telling us why you feel you are the right person for this position and something about your faith journey to: Pastor@fumcnaples.org
Contact: Rev. Nancy Mayeux
388 First Avenue South Naples FL 34102