The Staff Accountant manages full charge bookkeeping, financial administration and professional accounting functions on behalf of the Church and its ministries. Critical responsibilities include accounting records maintenance, financial reporting, tax preparation, bank transactions, and procedural compliance. Works closely with paid and lay staff and Church members to provide timely and accurate reporting, reconciliation and assistance. This position is full-time.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Partner with Church Operational Leadership in the development and implementation of finance policies, controls and procedures, ensuring compliance and supporting implementation and training as needed;
- Manage all hands-on accounting activities, including accounts payable/receivable, general ledger and journal entries, cash transactions, and bank reconciliations, ensuring accurate and timely processing and records maintenance;
- Compile and prepare monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements for operational review, tax preparation, and member distribution purposes;
- Coordinate employee payroll functions, including bi-weekly processing, check distribution, tax reporting, and records maintenance, interfacing with employees and the payroll vendor as needed;
- Monitor and reconcile corporate credit card accounts and personal expenditures, ensuring operational compliance, timely and accurate processing, and stewardship alignment;
- Assist in budget preparation and administration, assisting Church Leadership and ministries as needed or required;
- Assist in the maintenance of independent contractor arrangements, supporting the enforcement of agreements and terms, and issuing appropriate tax documentation in a timely fashion;
- Support annual stewardship initiatives, and process member giving, ensuring appropriate fund application, deposit procedures and lay staff oversight occurs;
- Attend campus meetings, events and functions, as requested or directed;
- Understand and support the Church vision, mission, values and direction, as developed and communicated, proactively participating as a member of the Church staff team;
- Support main office administration, including physical reception, guest management, and office systems maintenance;
- Maintain appropriate boundaries while cultivating healthy relationships with Church members and campus visitors;
- Other as deemed necessary by Church leadership.
WHAT TO BRING
- Support FUMCWP’s vision , core values and commitment to inclusion, inspired by a personal faith in Jesus Christ.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or a related field. Relevant professional experience will be accepted in lieu of a degree.
- Minimum five years accounting operations experience, preferably in a church, non-profit organization or faith-based environment.
- Excellent knowledge of GAAP and standard accounting processes, non-profit accounting a plus.
- Solid understanding of audit procedures, budget preparation, financial statements and reporting, general ledger and journal maintenance, and bank reconciliations.
- Outstanding interpersonal, oral and written communication skills with the ability to adapt messages in an audience-appropriate fashion and develop strong relationships with staff and laity representing a wide range of backgrounds and demographics.
- Strong proficiency in and knowledge of a variety of technological programs and applications, including complex accounting and payroll/HRIS software systems. Intermediate to advanced Excel skills required.
- Detail-oriented with excellent time-management, organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to remain professional under pressure and resolve conflict in a professional, Christ-like manner.
- High level of discretion and emotional intelligence with the ability to handle sensitive information and maintain the strictest confidentiality.
- Proactive, progressive-thinking and positive approach and attitude.
Contact: Erin Corbelli
125 North Interlachen Avenue Winter Park FL 32789