Director of Children and Youth Ministries
St. Paul’s United Methodist Church
800 S.E. 41st Avenue
Ocala, FL 34471
Position Title: Minister to Children and Youth
Reimbursed travel expenses and continuing education (expenses subject to approval). No paid health or retirement benefits.
Qualification: Bachelor Degree preferred
Minimum 2 years experience or equivalent
Church Council, Charge Conference (annually), and others as directed by the pastor.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Children and Youth Minister has overall responsibility for the church’s ministry and outreach to Children (nursery-4th
grade) and Youth (5th
General responsibilities include:
Screening, Experience and Certification:
- Developing and executing a planned, comprehensive program of Children Ministry and Youth Ministry, including the nursery.
- Working with volunteers to implement children’s ministry activities, including Children’s Church, Sunday School, Vacation Bible School, and other special events.
- Working with volunteers to implement youth ministry activities, including weekly youth meetings, Sunday School, and other special events.
- Volunteer training, education and recruiting to make sure St. Paul’s is 100% compliant with our Child Protection Policy.
The individual will have current CPR certification and be screened and certified in accordance with the church’s Child/Youth Protection Policy. Experience in Children’s Ministry and Youth Ministry. Prior experience working with special needs children would be beneficial.
Specific Duties & Expectations:
- In all ministries of St. Paul’s involving minors, the Child Protection Policy must be followed. As the staff person coordinating our ministries to minors, the Minister to Children and Youth will be expected to coordinate volunteers to ensure that the requirements of the policy are met at all times. This includes the creation & maintenance of background check files on all adult volunteers working with Children & Youth Ministries as well as participation in Annual Volunteer Training.
- Coordinate age appropriate Sunday School classes for the children, Middle School Youth, and High School Youth. This includes recruiting both teachers and Safe Sanctuaries Volunteers as well as working with the pastor to coordinate curriculum.
- Plan and conduct Children’s Church during the worship service each week. This includes coordination of Safe sanctuary volunteers, and lesson plans.
- Coordinate a schedule of volunteers to deliver the Children’s Sermon each week. This schedule should include a spot in the rotation for the Minister to Children and Youth as well as the pastor.
- Plan and conduct weekly youth ministry meetings focused on fellowship and learning with the help of the Pastor. This includes working with the pastor to plan curriculum, coordination of the volunteers who provide the meals, and recruiting working with the pastor to coordinate Safe Sanctuaries volunteers the weeks he/she is unavailable.
- Work with the director of St. Paul’s Christian School to coordinate a monthly Parents’ Night Out program to help foster a closer relationship between the preschool and our children’s ministries.
- Coordinate special events for Children & Youth Ministries.
- The Youth and Children’s Ministries should both have at least one service-related event every quarter. These may be joint events if they are age appropriate.
- The Youth Ministry should have at least three large fellowship events every year (such as Night of Joy, fun daytrips, etc.)
- Participate in the planning and coordination of Vacation Bible School, Spring Fling, Back-to-School Bash and Trunk-or-Treat each year.
Contact: Pam Michell
800 SE 41st Ave Ocala FL 34471