This position is for COO of DLC Nurse and Learn, a ministry in the NE District of the United Methodist Church. This ministry serves families that have children with disabilities and special medical needs by providing Child Care, Nursing Care, Therapies and Special Education Services. It would possibly lead to Executive Director (CEO) position in the future.
Job Title: Chief Operating Officer
Reports To: Executive Director
Summary - The chief operating officer of DLC Nurse & Learn, provides the leadership, management and vision necessary to ensure that the company has the proper operational controls, administrative and reporting procedures, and people systems in place to effectively grow the organization and to ensure financial strength and operating efficiency. The position accomplishes this through a respectful, constructive and energetic style, guided by the objectives of the company alongside the Executive Director.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Work with the ED on programming excellence, program evaluations, and quality of finance and administration, fundraising, communications and systems while recommending timelines and resources needed to achieve the strategic goals.
2. Help coordinate the administrative staff and board members to energize volunteers, alumni, partnering organizations, funders and fundraising events.
3. Support the ED in meeting of financial goals with grant writing and seeking out new investors.
4. Support the ED and Board of Directors to maintain an active and strong board of directors, serve on each committee where possible and assure board involvement with the strategic plan, outreach into the community and annual fundraisers.
5. Help with training DLC’s senior management team and other staff as needed to assure quality of service.
6. Stay active in community groups that pertain to DLC’s mission; city wide interests as well as United Methodist/Presbyterian communities as well as others in the nonprofit development sector.
7. Help ED to grow partnerships in new markets, establish relationships with funders and political and community leaders.
8. Help ED and DLC to continue as an external local, and when possible state and national presence that publishes and communicates program results as a model for replication.
9. Performs other related duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
1. Have an understanding of the creation and operation of the annual budget.
2. Have an understanding of and assist in the changes needed with employment and administrative policies and procedures for all functions and for the day to day operations of DLC.
3. Serve as secondary spokesperson for DLC Nurse & Learn to other organizations, media, church affiliates and the general public.
4. Assist ED in working with the Board of Directors to seek their involvement in policy decisions, fundraising and to increase the visibility of DLC locally, statewide and beyond.
5. Take part in supervision of and collaborate with the organizations key staff on programming, strategic planning and implementation.
6. Help organization of the board and board committee meetings.
7. Direct marketing and other communication efforts by development team and other staff.
8. Assist in oversite of all expenditures, including contracts for services.
9. Perform other essential duties as deemed necessary by the Executive Director for the organization to thrive.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS include the following.
1. Master’s degree in field or Bachelor’s degree with qualifying experience. (Special Education, Nursing, Therapy, Nonprofit management, Business, etc.)
2. Demonstration of high integrity and leadership skills, with ability to organize staff, boards, volunteers and donors. Must have at least 5 years similar management experience.
3. Background in budgeting for a medium to large business.
4. Ability to speak in public and convey a vision of the mission of DLC.
5. Knowledge of fundraising strategies, events, and grant writing.
6. Understanding of the United Methodist Church organization and an ability to communicate a shared
Contact: Amy Buggle
Address: 4101-1 College Street 2756 Herschell Street Jacksonville FL 32205
The Florida Conference of The United Methodist Church
450 Martin L King Jr Ave
Lakeland, FL 33815
(863) 688-5563 or toll free (800) 282-8011