Praise Band Director
First United Methodist Church - Land O Lakes, FL
Praise Band Director
: The Praise Band Director is responsible for providing musical leadership to the praise band and congregation during the contemporary worship service, as well as directing the praise band at weekly rehearsals and in worship on Sunday mornings and other special days (e.g. Christmas Eve, Ash Wednesday, etc.). This person serves as a spiritual leader to the praise band, is part of the leadership team, and works together with the Pastor and staff to select music and design contemporary worship experiences.
Organizational Relationship and Supervision:
The Praise Band Director reports directly to the Pastor. The Pastor, in cooperation with the Staff Parish Relations Committee, provides an annual evaluation of the Praise Band Director’s performance. Like all staff, the Praise Band Director will be responsible for and subject to United Methodist polity and doctrine, as well as local church policy as determined by the Charge Conference, Pastor, Staff Parish Relations Committee, and Leadership Board. Attendance at the following meetings is expected: weekly staff meetings, monthly Leadership Board meetings, and regularly scheduled supervision meetings with the Pastor.
- Provide musical leadership to the praise band during the contemporary service and other special worship services (e.g. Ash Wednesday, Christmas Eve, etc.).
- Conduct weekly praise band rehearsals.
- Collaborate with the Pastor to provide music for the contemporary service and, when necessary, combined services.
- Stay up to date on the literature and materials available that are related to contemporary worship music.
- Identify, develop and support effective musical leadership for the praise band.
- Recruit and musically develop members of the praise band.
- Assist with church-wide events requiring music.
- Represent the concerns of music at weekly staff meetings, monthly leadership board meetings, and the annual charge conference.
- Oversee the audio/visual volunteers to ensure a quality worship experience.
- Manage the praise band equipment and maintain the rehearsal area. Report any issues to the Facilities Director
- Create yearly goals for the music ministry in collaboration with the Pastor and Choir Director.
- Maintain records or status reports as directed by the Pastor.
- Two or more years of experience leading a musical group or related experience as a musical teacher/instructor
- Demonstrated musical proficiency on piano or guitar (preferably both)
- Working knowledge of audio/visual systems
- Up to date knowledge of contemporary Christian music in addition to secular songs appropriate for worship settings
- A passion for God and the Church that is demonstrated in a personal commitment to Christian theology and discipline
- Ability to relate to and lead a multi-generational congregation
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, conflict management skills, and basic computer skills (e.g. proficiency with Mac and PC platforms, working knowledge of Microsoft Office, etc.).
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to work as a team in cooperation with staff and volunteers to meet articulated goals
- Ability to successfully recruit, train, and support volunteers
- A clear background check
Preferred, but not required:
- United Methodist background or a familiarity with the theology, polity, and worship of the United Methodist Church
- Proficiency with Proclaim, Worship Planning Center, and Windows Media Player and/or iTunes.
Sue Shea, Staff Parish Relations Committee Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact: Sue Shea
6209 Land O’ Lakes Blvd Land O Lakes 34638