The First United Methodist Church of Land O' Lakes, FL 34638
: The Choir Director is responsible for providing musical leadership to the choir and congregation during the traditional worship service, as well as directing the choir at weekly rehearsals and in worship on Sunday mornings and other special days (e.g. Christmas Eve, Ash Wednesday, etc.). This person serves as a spiritual leader to the choir, is part of the leadership team, and works together with the Pastor and staff to select music and design traditional worship experiences.
Organizational Relationship and Supervision:
The Choir Director reports directly to the Pastor. The Pastor, in cooperation with the Staff Parish Relations Committee, provides an annual evaluation of the Choir Director’s performance. Like all staff, the Choir Director will be responsible for and subject to United Methodist polity and doctrine, as well as local church policy as determined by the Charge Conference, Pastor, Staff Parish Relations Committee, and Leadership Board. Attendance at the following meetings is expected: weekly staff meetings, monthly Leadership Board meetings, and regularly scheduled supervision meetings with the Pastor.
- Provide musical leadership to the choir during the traditional service and other special worship services (e.g. Ash Wednesday, Christmas Eve, etc.).
- Conduct weekly choir rehearsals.
- Collaborate with the Pastor to provide music for the traditional service and, when necessary, combined services.
- Become aware of the literature and materials available that are related to traditional worship music.
- Identify, develop and support effective musical leadership.
- Recruit and musically develop choir members.
- Assist with church-wide events requiring music.
- Represent the concerns of music at weekly staff meetings, monthly leadership board meetings, and the annual charge conference.
- Collaborate with audio/visual volunteers to ensure a quality worship experience.
- Manage and maintain the music library, choir room, and choir equipment. Report any issues to the Facilities Director.
- Create yearly goals for the music ministry in collaboration with the Pastor and Director of Contemporary Worship.
- Maintain records and status reports as directed by the Pastor.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Music/Music Education or more than two years of experience leading a church choir or related experience as a teacher/instructor
- Musically proficient on piano or organ
- A passion for God and the Church that is demonstrated in a personal commitment to Christian theology and discipline
- Ability to relate to and lead a multi-generational congregation
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, conflict management skills, and basic computer skills (e.g. knowledge of Microsoft Office).
- Strong organizational/time management skills and the ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to work as a team in cooperation with staff and volunteers to meet articulated goals
- A clear background check.
Preferred, but not required:
- United Methodist background or a familiarity with the theology, polity, and worship of the United Methodist Church
- Proficiency with Proclaim, Worship Planning Center, and Windows Media Player/iTunes.
- Working knowledge of audio/visual systems
- Ability to play multiple instruments
Contact: Sue Shea
6209 Land O’ Lakes Blvd Land O Lakes 34638