Director of Traditional Music/Organist
First United Methodist Church in Ocala, Florida, is seeking Full-Time Director of Traditional Music who will also serve as the Organist.
Job Title: Director of Traditional Music and Organist
Department: Program Staff
Reports to: Co-Pastors
Terms of Employment: Full-Time, Salaried position
Benefits: Health insurance, pension, personal/sick days and vacation time as stated in personnel policies of FUMC, continuing education. Compensation and benefits shall be paid consistent with the church’s approved plan. Length of the work year and hours of employment shall be established by the church.
Director of Traditional Music Responsibilities:
- Participate in the creative planning of all worship with pastors and program staff.
- In consultation with the co-pastors, select and plan appropriate music for the traditional service(s).
- Recruit, equip, motivate, supervise and shepherd music team leaders and musicians
- Conduct the choir, bell choir, and other musical ensembles, and empower others to develop their gifts for leadership or conducting
- Plan and lead weekly rehearsals of choir, bell choir and other ensemble groups. Provide individual practice and encouragement as needed
- Coordinate and sustain a musical presence within the community for the purpose of missional witness and outreach (via performances at community events, hymn singing at nursing homes, hosting concerts, or other activities as appropriate)
- Manage equipment, instruments and music including copyrights and music library
- In coordination with the co-pastors, draft and manage the budget for traditional music ministries
- Ensure the tidiness of music ministry spaces (choir room, choir loft, bell room, music library, etc)
- Communicate faithfully with the co-pastors and staff (including participation and presence at weekly staff meetings)
- Participate in the life and ministry of the church
- Provide appropriate organ/piano music for the traditional Sunday service(s), generally including but not limited to: Prelude, Hymns (selected by the co-pastors), Choral Anthems, Special Music, Guest Musician(s), Offertory, Communion, Postlude
- Submit the titles and composers of music literature to the church office by 10:00am each Thursday for inclusion in the Sunday bulletin.
- Additional services and events that are part of base pay may include choir concerts, recitals, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Easter Sunrise service, two Christmas Eve services, etc. These special service may require additional rehearsals time
- Provide accompaniment for funerals, memorial services, and weddings
- Provide for qualified substitutes for all absences.
- A strong Christian faith
- Love and respect for all people
- Ability to shepherd volunteer musicians in the Christian life
- Attested musical skills and appreciation for traditional music
- Ability to organize, coordinate, and motivate musicians
- Sense of humor and positive attitude
- Strong team player with the rest of the staff and congregation
- Committed to the church's vision, mission, leadership, and people
- Dependable, responsible, self-motivated and creative
- Bachelor’s degree in Music. Preferred: Formal study in organ or piano performance, conducting, Sacred Music and Theology
- Minimum five years’ experience in church-related setting
- Ability to lead/direct traditional worship and to train others as worship leaders
- Competencies in composing, arranging, writing, and sequencing music
- Experience producing and directing special events, musicals and programs
- Attested musical skills on the organ and piano
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Extended hours beyond workday may be required on occasion.
Contact: David Fuquay
1126 E Silver Springs Blvd Ocala 34470