Palm Coast United Methodist Church
Staff Job Description
Title: Director of Children’s Ministry
Reporting to: Senior Pastor
Status: Full Time, Salaried
Provide primary oversight for the Christian Education, Spiritual Formation, and Discipleship for the children of the congregation of Palm Coast United Methodist Church. Coordinate a ministry of Christian Education and lead a team of volunteers to help children build a relationship with Jesus Christ, be nurtured as disciples to follow Christ and display, through their words and actions, the importance of loving their neighbors.
Successful candidate shall exhibit a love for children and demonstrate the ability to educate children in Christ’s love. Train, lead, and provide feedback to a team of Children’s Ministry volunteers including Sunday School teachers, small group leaders and Bible study facilitators. Collaborate and cultivate relationships with parents to ensure a holistic approach to each child’s Christian education. Must be spiritually mature in one’s faith. Bachelor’s Degree required in Christian Education, Family/Children’s Ministry or Education. Experience in ministry with children, discipleship, program coordination, project management and volunteer recruitment/training is desired. Highly organized, collaborative, agile and able to prioritize a variety of tasks. Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Proficient in computer technology and effective use of social media. United Methodist background is preferred. Demonstrate and support the United Methodist Church’s doctrine in all areas of faith and practice.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Collaborate closely with the Education Committee to plan and direct Christian Education including Sunday School, Vacation Bible School and Wednesday Night Educational programs.
2. Oversee and continually enhance Sunday School program including administration, missions, education and training for Sunday School teachers.
3. Lead and project manage Vacation Bible School and additional children’s ministries throughout the year.
4. Ensure all education-related requirements are met. This includes CPR training, Safety and Security training and administration of Safe Sanctuaries policy for church compliance with all guidelines.
5. Provide educational support for the United Methodist Christian School (UMCS). Lead Children’s Chapel and attend special events.
6. Collaborate with Director of Youth Ministry to support Confirmation classes.
7. Serve as advisor, liaison and resource to the Education Committee and UMCS Advisory Committee.
8. Select and secure all needed educational materials and resources ensuring they align with the social educational principles established in the Book of Discipline of the United Methodist Church.
9. Maintain and distribute pertinent newsletters and emails to the congregation. Regularly post Children’s Ministry updates to church’s social media page.
10. Recruit and train acolytes annually.
11. Serve as the Warren Willis Summer Camp Coordinator. Organize fundraising efforts to help children attend camp and participate in camp with the children.
12. Oversee and train Nursery/Child Care employees. Recruit, train, schedule and manage Nursery/Child Care Volunteers.
13. Implement and coordinate other educational opportunities including Family Bible Study and the church service’s Children’s Moment.
14. Organize and participate in mission outreach programs within the community such as Annual Trunk or Treat and Easter Egg Hunt/Spring Fling events.
15. Plan and project manage family ministry events within the congregation including family movie nights and family outings.
16. Collaborate with Welcoming Ministry Director to follow up with new visitors to the church who have children.
17. Maintain and manage Sunday School electronic check in system.
1. Work closely with the Pastor and staff for the growth and development of the total educational ministry for the children of the church.
2. Collaborate with the Director of Youth and Adult Ministries as needed.
3. Read, sign and adhere to the church’s Employee Personnel Manual.
4. Facilitate collaborative working relationship with UMCS.
5. Other duties as needed.
Contact: Jennifer Wright
The Florida Conference of The United Methodist Church
450 Martin L King Jr Ave
Lakeland, FL 33815
(863) 688-5563 or toll free (800) 282-8011