FIRST UNITED METHODIST CHURCH, LAND O LAKES, FL 34638
Brief Description: The Youth Leader is responsible for the overall visioning, planning, coordinating, execution, and evaluation of youth activities intended to help students (6th to 12th grade) grow as disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world. As such, the Youth Leader is responsible for developing and implementing a comprehensive approach to youth ministry that includes community building, worship, discipleship, leadership development, mission, and outreach.
Organizational Relationship and Supervision: The Youth Leader reports to the Director of Family Ministries. The Pastor, in cooperation with the Staff Parish Relations Committee and the Director of Family Ministries, provides an annual evaluation of the Youth Leader’s performance. Like all staff, the Youth Leader will be responsible for and subject to United Methodist polity and doctrine, as well as local church policy as determined by the Charge Conference, Pastor, Staff Parish Relations Committee, and Leadership Board. Attendance at the following meetings is expected: weekly Staff Meetings, monthly Leadership Board meetings, and regularly scheduled supervision meetings with the Director of Family Ministries and Pastor.
- Serve as a spiritual mentor and role model for youth
- Organize and lead a Student Leadership Team and schedule regular meetings
- Develop age-appropriate lessons and maintain curriculum for Middle and High School Students.
- Send weekly email updates to parents and volunteers regarding regularly scheduled activities, upcoming events, and reminders.
- Lead the High School Sunday School class and supervise volunteers leading the Middle School Sunday School class.
- Make regular contact with students outside of the church by visiting schools, attending extracurricular activities, texting, social media, etc.
- Host a biannual parent meeting in partnership with the Director of Family Ministries
- Make hospital visits for youth in cooperation with the Pastor
- Create and execute a youth calendar that provides for adequate events, service opportunities and trips/retreats
- Maintain the youth hut as needed and report any issues or facility needs to the Facilities Manager
- Keep adequate records of youth participation and any incidents or accidents that occur during Student Ministry programs.
- Maintain confidentiality in accordance with church and conference policy
- Assist with recruiting and equipping Student Ministries volunteers (includes background checks and Youth Protection training with Family Ministries)
- Responsible for updating the website and posting updates on social media (Facebook, Instagram, etc.) with regard to Student Ministry activities.
- Create a yearly budget request for the Finance committee in partnership with the Director of Family Ministries.
- Coordinate and teach Confirmation classes in partnership with the Pastor
- Establish and maintain regular office hours.
- Attend one continuing education event per year.
- Ensure that the Youth/Child Protection Policy is observed in all Student Ministry settings.
- A passion for God and the Church that is demonstrated in a personal commitment to Christian theology and discipline
- A minimum of two years experience working with youth in a ministry setting or a Bachelor’s Degree in Youth Ministry (or related field).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, conflict management skills, and computer skills (e.g. basic knowledge of Microsoft Office).
- Ability to engage students and disciple them in creative ways
- Ability to prioritize, plan and effectively run events for youth
- Ability to work as a team member in cooperation with staff and volunteers
- A clear background check
Preferred, but not required:
- United Methodist background or a familiarity with the theology and polity of the United Methodist Church
- Ability to produce and edit videos/graphics
- Experience with WordPress or other web design software
Contact: Sue Shea
6209 Land O Lakes Blvd Land O Lakes 34638