Who We Are
Branches is a dynamic non-profit organization with the mission to serve, educate, and inspire people through student, family, and financial stability services in partnership with our communities.
Branches truly values our partnership with AmeriCorps, and right now, we are looking for motivated people with a passion to serve - those who will help make a positive impact and improve our communities by serving youth and children.
AmeriCorps Members' Role
AmeriCorps Members bring a unique passion and commitment to our mission and the services we provide at our three locations: North Miami, South Miami and Florida City. They address the needs of students from low income communities and/or low performing schools to increase academic performance. To meet this need, they serve and engage children, youth, and families through educational activities in our Grow & Climb programs.
1) Grow Program - Serves elementary students preparing them for lifelong success through the enrichment of their minds, bodies, and hearts. Our engagement with the students begins after school with tutoring, homework help, and enrichment activities. Members also assist in the areas of: mentoring, leading enrichment activities (e.g. physical education, art, music, drama, etc.), and adding their own unique skills to extracurricular activities.
2) Climb Program - Serves middle and high school students focusing on helping them to become better students and community members. AmeriCorps members serving in this program serve by: mentoring, providing academic tutoring, leading life skills workshops, participating in service projects and retreats, serving as a guide for college discovery, and contributing their own unique skills to extracurricular activities.
AmeriCorps members serving in both programs also help lead a 6 week camp, called 'Summer Shade' during the summer months. The purpose of Summer Shade is to help prevent learning loss and provide a safe and fun environment for our students.
Our combined programs enhance students' lives by creating life-changing opportunities for them to become better educated and to make positive life choices based on three fundamental characteristics that shape our programs and define the experience for those who pass through our doors:
1) A place to Be Loved and to Be Known
2) A Cornerstone for Community
3) A time to Cultivate Opportunities to Learn and Grow
Application Process: All candidates must complete our Branches Application by clicking the "Apply" button below and (as a second step) also complete the AmeriCorps Application as well (directly on their website) which is listed below.
Terms: reliable transportation required, permits part-time school attendance during off hours, prohibits paid work outside of the sponsoring agency at any time, uniforms provided and required.
AmeriCorps Members will receive:
Education: Some college preferred
Additional: Preferred candidates have had successful experiences in...
Contact: Denise Athis
Address: 11500 NW 12th Ave Miami 33168
The Florida Conference of The United Methodist Church
450 Martin L King Jr Ave
Lakeland, FL 33815
(863) 688-5563 or toll free (800) 282-8011