Director of Youth Ministries-full time
Lakewood United Methodist church in Jacksonville, Florida, is seeking a full-time Director of Youth Ministries. We are located about 8 miles southeast of the downtown Jacksonville area. Lakewood UMC is an established church with an average of 425 attending two worship services.
The Director of Youth Ministries is to provide leadership in ministry to middle and high school youth (grades 7-12) and serves under the direction of the senior pastor.
The Director of Youth Ministries should support the teachings of the United Methodist Church as outlined in the Book of Discipline as well as assure compliance with the Book of Discipline, the Legal Resource Manual and the United Methodist Church in all business transactions.
- Retreats and Trips
- Youth Choir Tour/ Mission Trip
- Winter Retreat
- Retreats for high school seniors
- Summer Activities including Youth Week
- Other trips such as a hiking trip, Rock the Universe/Night of Joy, etc. throughout the year.
- Sunday night UMYF- The most regular and important meeting of the week. This is both an entry point for new youth as well as an opportunity for spiritual growth for older youth. The programming will be scripturally based and include discussion, teaching, recreation, and experiential elements.
- Wednesday Night- Developing “lighter” programming for youth while adults have their own programs.
- Sunday School- Coordinate volunteers to teach Sunday school and work with them in choosing curriculum.
- Miscellaneous- this includes topical bible studies, taking youth to other events and service opportunities as well as investing time in attending occasional outside activities that youth participate such as sports, concerts, and other extracurricular events.
- Budget- Responsible for building and maintaining a budget that covers the costs of Sunday night activities, retreats, choir tour, continuing education and other areas where costs are incurred.
- Communication- Keep parents, youth, and counselors up to date on upcoming programs, retreats, and any other noteworthy activities through communication tools such as newsletters, meetings, emails and social media.
- Leadership Development- Develop and encourage both adult volunteers and youth to find areas in the youth ministry where they can better utilize their unique gifts, lead programming, and develop a better sense of connection with the ministry and vision for the group.
- Educational Development- On a personal level, spend time reading, researching, and studying, various theological and resource oriented ideas to continually grow learn and develop as a leader and Christian.
- Professes the calling of God to minister to youth.
- Must have a minimum two years of experience working with youth or have a college level education in youth ministry or related field.
- Must possess, at a minimum, a high school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Must successfully pass a background check.
Please send a cover letter and resume by midnight, July 23, 2018.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $40,000.00 to $45,000.00 /year
Contact: Larry Figart
6133 San Jose Blvd Jacksonville 32217