Suntree UMC, a vibrant faith community in Melbourne FL with average weekly attendance about 840, is seeking a full-time Director of Worship & Arts to work in cooperation with the pastoral, music and technical staff along with volunteer leadership in worship ministries to create and coordinate both contemporary and traditional worship opportunities. This person will serve as the Contemporary worship leader, directing the contemporary worship team, and also will be responsible to work with the part-time Director of Traditional Music to implement the total worship plan for the life of the congregation which includes music, liturgy, drama, dance, visual, graphic and technical arts as well as support ministries such as ushers, communion stewards, acolytes, etc.
Education and Experience:
Experience in music ministry and a bachelor’s degree in music are strongly preferred. Familiarity with Planning Center Online and ProPresenter a plus.
Salary & Benefits: Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Email or send cover letter and resume along with a link to a 3-5 minute video that showcases your musical abilities to:
Suntree United Methodist Church
7400 N. Wickham Rd.
Melbourne FL 32940
Director of Worship & Arts
Suntree United Methodist Church
Position Overview: The Director of Worship & Arts is responsible for leading, directing and implementing the overall worship ministry at Suntree UMC, including contemporary and traditional worship, which include music, liturgy, drama, dance, visual, graphic and technical arts. The Director is responsible for all contemporary worship music at Sunday morning services and other special worship opportunities throughout the year. This involves leading the volunteer contemporary worship teams and worship leadership at the contemporary service. The Director will also supervise and support the work of the Traditional Worship music staff and lead volunteer teams such as ushers, communion stewards, acolytes, etc.
Qualifications: The Director of Worship & Arts must possess a passion for leading the church in living into the Suntree UMC vision of loving God, loving each other and loving our neighbors in extraordinary ways. Must exhibit a vibrant and committed faith in Christ. The Director must also have a vision for worship that aligns with our theology and identity as an UM congregation. Must possess strong vocal and instrumental skills, along with experience in recruiting, rehearsing, encouraging, organizing and empowering volunteers to use their gifts in our worship ministries. Relational, organizational, communication and time management skills are a must. Experience in music ministry and a bachelor’s degree in music are strongly preferred.
1. Lead creative worship planning teams for both contemporary and traditional worship that develop themes and ideas for sermon series.
2. Select and prepare music for contemporary worship and special services as needed.
3. Lead worship in the contemporary service and empower others on the team to grow in worship leadership.
4. Develop and schedule volunteer base for contemporary worship teams, soloists, ensembles, etc. including the active recruitment and auditioning of new volunteers for this ministry.
5. Create worship media elements using ProPresenter, etc. for all worship services.
6. Plan and lead well-organized and productive contemporary worship team rehearsals each week.
7. Oversee the organization of contemporary music resources.
8. Train and work with tech teams to provide for technical needs for all worship services.
9. Offer training and growth opportunities for existing volunteers.
10. Oversee budgets related to contemporary worship ministry and worship ministry in general.
11. Supervise other part-time staff worship leaders, including but not limited to the contemporary technical support position, the director of traditional music, and the traditional worship coordinator.
12. Work in conjunction with Director of Traditional Music, Pastors and other staff to plan and produce content for a weekly Order of Worship for all worship services.
13. Oversee the implementation of all aspects of Sunday worship services.
14. Recruit, train and encourage volunteers in worship support (including but not limited to ushers, hospitality volunteers, lay readers, communion stewards and servers, altar parament stewards, acolytes).
15. Nurture the spiritual development of the volunteer teams and provide encouragement and support.
16. Serve as a member of the Church Council and Church Leadership Committee.
17. Work with SUMC staff as necessary to achieve goals and monitor worship ministry operations and expenditures.
18. Assist with other tasks as assigned by the Pastors.
19. Be intentional and disciplined in personal spiritual formation.
The Director of Worship & Arts will report to the Senior Pastor.
This is a full-time salaried position with benefits as described in the SUMC Employee Handbook.
Contact: Carolyn Cain
Address: 7400 N. Wickham Rd. Melbourne FL 32940
The Florida Conference of The United Methodist Church
450 Martin L King Jr Ave
Lakeland, FL 33815
(863) 688-5563 or toll free (800) 282-8011