Director of Youth Ministries
Full Time – Job requires at least 45 hours per week of work. Willing to work outside regular office hours, holidays, and weekends. Job requires responsibilities
outside of regular office hours and may require attendance at evening meetings. This is an office based position that requires regular consultation with the Sr. Pastor and weekly consultation with the staff.
The Director of Youth Ministries is responsible for developing, implementing, supervising and conducting a comprehensive ministry to the youth of Orange Park
United Methodist Church. This program shall incorporate a program that encompasses the physical, emotional, mental and spiritual well-being of the youth. The Sr. Pastor is the immediate supervisor of the Director of Youth Ministries.
- Able to move freely in and out of office and various church settings.
- Able to speak in a public forum and to communicate clearly in one-on- one setting.
- Practices the Christian faith.
- Knowledge of English usage, spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
- Ability to use a personal computer and various software packages including, Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Ability to establish priorities, work independently, and proceed with objectives without supervision.
- Ability to handle and resolve recurring problems.
- Ability to keep strict confidentiality and to refrain from unnecessary discussions of church business.
- Must embrace Christian discipline and United Methodist doctrine and theology.
- Bachelor’s Degree and/or 5+ years of equivalent youth ministry related experience.
- Leadership abilities, and experience leading large youth groups.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to foster teamwork in a positive atmosphere with staff, volunteers and parents.
- Ability to create a vision for the youth ministry, set goals and strategically meet them.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Willingness to work a 45+ hour work week including time spent investing in students off campus at their games, events and through Bible studies.
- Plan, implement and lead an effective program of youth events, missions, small group discussions and one on one outreach for youth.
- Recruit, train, equip and manage volunteers to appropriately love, engage and encourage students and to fully staff all programs and events.
- Ability to work within the current budget of the youth ministry.
- Oversee and produce all youth-related publications, including newsletters, announcements, web-site content and youth marketing.
- Attend all staff meetings during the week.
- Understand, abide by and implement the Florida United Methodist Child/Youth Protection Policy.
- Be an integral part of a ministry team that works closely together to support one another, set a high bar of excellence for the congregation and actively work to support one another in all areas of ministry.
- Develop programs that meet the varied needs of the youth, including athletic programs.
- Reports directly to the Senior Pastor.
- Mission Ownership: Demonstrates understanding and full support of the mission, vision, values, and beliefs of Orange Park United Methodist Church. Can teach those values to others.
- Spiritual Maturity: Has a vital Christian life that is lived out through the ministry of Orange Park United Methodist Church. Models and develops humility, teachability, accountability, moral character and servant leadership in all church relationships.
- Biblical Knowledge: Able to discuss and interpret biblical truth when applying Scripture to life situations. Guides others in the exploration and discovery of biblical truth. Encourages and designs avenues for others to engage in ongoing training/studying of Scripture.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to lead others. Keeps strict confidentiality. Demonstrates the skills of active listening and openly accepts criticism. Productively engages and resolves interpersonal conflict. Engages people positively, with a demeanor of optimism and cheerfulness. Maintains a good working relationship with other church staff, congregants, and the general public. Problem solves, is a self-starter, and is able to multi-task. Handles and resolves recurring problems.
- Team Building Skills: Guides youth in the process of finding their gifts to share with the church by encouraging them to see their volunteering as a ministry, rather than as a way to get a job done. Recognizes dysfunctional team behavior and redirects it into functional behavior. Works with youth to regularly assess the health of teams and groups. Creates and communicates vision, direction and goals for teams.
- Management Skills: Demonstrates commitment and flexibility in scheduling regular sessions with those in his/her span of care. Understands his/her leadership style and temperament type and adapts leadership behaviors to meet the needs of the situation. Delegates, empowers, and holds youth accountable. Demonstrates ability to schedule necessary meetings, oversees volunteers, and assembles resources (people, funding, material, support) to get things done.
- Leadership Development: Is a good judge of talent and spiritual giftedness. Can accurately project how youth are likely to perform in a variety of settings. Provides challenging and stretching tasks and assignments for developing leaders. Stretches people to try new skills and accept new levels of responsibility.
Housing and pension are given, as well as a base salary of $40,000+ based on experience.
2105 Park Avenue Suite 19 Orange Park FL 32073